• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

[HELP] UMDs refuse to load at all

Knyght

So my friend's PSP had 3.03 OE-C loaded on it from a long ass time ago and he rarely ever used his PSP so it really wasn't a big deal. Well, he just bought a new game (Bleach Heat the Soul 4) which requires newer firmware so he brought it to me to upgrade it.

I did everything by the books and upgraded from 3.03OE-C -> 3.52 M33 -> 3.52 M33-4 -> 3.90 M33 -> 3.90 M33-2... and yet... UMDs refuse to load on his PSP? I don't understand what happened. I tried it with 2 seperate UMDs and both will not load on his PSP (3.90 M33-2) and will load on mine (3.80 M33).

Help?

If you could, my AIM is Knyghtmayre777. It'd be much easier with real-time help :)

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
So my friend's PSP had 3.03 OE-C loaded on it from a long ass time ago and he rarely ever used his PSP so it really wasn't a big deal. Well, he just bought a new game (Bleach Heat the Soul 4) which requires newer firmware so he brought it to me to upgrade it.

I did everything by the books and upgraded from 3.03OE-C -> 3.52 M33 -> 3.52 M33-4 -> 3.90 M33 -> 3.90 M33-2... and yet... UMDs refuse to load on his PSP? I don't understand what happened. I tried it with 2 seperate UMDs and both will not load on his PSP (3.90 M33-2) and will load on mine (3.80 M33).

Help?

If you could, my AIM is Knyghtmayre777. It'd be much easier with real-time help :)

I would try switching UMD mode to Normal. Also make sure the following settings in Recovery Mode are set to disabled:

Plain modules in UMD/ISO
Execute BOOT.BIN in UMD/ISO

Knyght

Normal UMD mode enabled
Plain modules in UMD/ISO disabled
Execute BOOT.BIN in UMD/ISO disabled...

problem persists.

New symptom: When closing UMD door, unit powers off.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

Knyght

Yep, he brought it to me to 'fix' it and I've made it even worse lol :/

Checking Keys now.

EDIT: Key 0x0047 was corrupt, I repaired with KC1.4 and the UMD problem persists.

This is also either a TA-079 or TA-081 PSP, if that makes a difference. My PSP is a TA-082.

Knyght

Formatted Flash1, problem persists.

Is there a chance that downgrading back to 1.50 and then re-upgrading to 3.90M33 would fix this? If so, how can I do that without Pandora?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Formatted Flash1, problem persists.

Is there a chance that downgrading back to 1.50 and then re-upgrading to 3.90M33 would fix this? If so, how can I do that without Pandora?

You'll need to use Pandora to downgrade from 3.90 M33. There's no other way unfortunately.

To be honest this sounds more like a hardware problem. Seems it would be more widespread if this was an issue with the firmware.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

Knyght

Oh... yeah that worked.

Why can't I restore 1.50 with this, though? My only options are 3.80 M33, 3.80 OFW, NAND dump, and restore NAND physically.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Oh... yeah that worked.

Why can't I restore 1.50 with this, though? My only options are 3.80 M33, 3.80 OFW, NAND dump, and restore NAND physically.

Should've stopped at step 17 when creating the magic memory stick if you wanted to install just 1.5. Was going to tell you but then you already went through the guide.

Anyways... just try installing 3.80 M33 and see if that fixes it.

Knyght

I tried Pandora'ing to 3.80 M33-5 and it still can't read UMDs.
I tried Pandora'ing to 1.50 OFW and it still won't read...

The loading-circle icon just stays there forever... I don't get it :(

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I tried Pandora'ing to 3.80 M33-5 and it still can't read UMDs.
I tried Pandora'ing to 1.50 OFW and it still won't read...

The loading-circle icon just stays there forever... I don't get it :(

Yeah it looks like the UMD drive is faulty :/

If it is still under warranty I recommend shipping it back to Sony with OFW installed and they'll fix it.

Knyght

lol This is a TA-079 :/ I'm sure the warranty is longgg overdue.

Thanks for the help though x3, much appreciated.