• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Status thread for RetroAchievements API outage

🎉 As of 11/30, tracking is now fully working again - there are no more restrictions and new users can add their accounts to the site. 🎉

For the latest updates, please visit the RetroAchievements Discord channel.

As we have been receiving a lot of messages asking why RetroAchievements profiles are not updating on the site, I decided to create an announcement thread to hopefully better inform everyone of the current situation and direct users to the proper channels for updates.

Starting around June, the RetroAchievements API was disabled as it was impacting reliability of the RA site itself. At the time, they left a few API endpoints operational so we could continue updating profiles for existing users. They planned to fully re-enable the API once certain planned upgrades were made to improve the site performance.

On August 1 however, RA experienced a surge in traffic and the site itself went down. They have since restored the site and moved it to an upgraded server to handle the increased load. This time the decision was made to completely disable the API - which is why your profile on Exophase hasn't updated since then, despite them restoring the site.

We do not have an ETA on when the API will return, and until it does, profile updates for RA will remain down. All other tracked services are not affected. The current roadmap per a developer from the RA Discord is highlighted below.

All in all, I would recommend being patient as RA is entirely a community-run effort and the developers are volunteering their time to keep the site up. The latest updates can be found on their Discord channel, though I'll try to keep this thread updated if any new news emerges.

Screenshot 2023-08-11 at 4.55.13 PM.png

Last edited:

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
To clarify, if you registered and linked your account to this site prior to the API outage, it is now being tracked, but those that didn’t will have to wait a bit longer still.

I’m told the remaining endpoint we need for the user ID will return soon, they don’t have an exact ETA but will update me when it’s back online.

Tracking appears to be fully operational for existing accounts now, even retrieving last played dates is working again so they’ve made a lot of progress.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I'm happy to report RA tracking is now fully working again - there are no more restrictions and new users can add their accounts to the site.

GAMERJET

My missing pocky and rocky achievements returned. RA gaming time!
Account verification finally works too!

Last edited:

Retodon8

It was back a week ago? Why was it only announced this morning then?
I don't know. Maybe they didn't feel confident everything was working properly yet. It suuucks announcing you fixed an issue only to have to reappear soon after, because there was some other cause behind it still there.

You're linking to a reply you made to the official announcement thread by RA. You were already at the source, why not just ask them? :)

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Yes, I think they wanted to make sure everything was stable before making a formal announcement.