• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

400gb blu-ray compatible disc in development

BlackBurd

Original Gangstuh
Well i remember reading somewhere that the pioneer company made a working demo of a 16 layer 400gb blu-ray disc that works with standerd blu-ray players only needing a firmware upgrade to read it differently does anyone know when it will be out and if it will be able to be used with the ps3.

ooh btw i also remember a quad (4) layer blu-ray that could handle 100gigs

does anyone know when these wll be out because that would kill xbox so bad.

not that ps3 isnt already better.

It's unlikely to be used, simply for the fact that that kind of space is not yet needed and would also be more expensive to produce. Only MGS4 & LittleBIGPlanet so far have used the two layers offered by a Blu-Ray, and that's likely due to uncompressed HD content.

Hardrive

Contributor
How much will these discs cost? I don't see these being a practical product, normal blu-ray discs aren't even cheap yet.

BlackBurd

Original Gangstuh
How much will these discs cost? I don't see these being a practical product, normal blu-ray discs aren't even cheap yet.

i think they would be pretty expensive but imagin what kind of games you can get on 400gb's

If i had one extremely long game on 400gb's i dont need to buy another game.

It could probably be used for having a demo of every ps3 gmae and sticking it on one disc. (ide imagin atleast)

But with 400gb's you can probably put most of your ps3 games on one disc.

Blackout

point being, the ps3 will be able to read these discs, which will give developers more room to breathe once these discs are at a reasonable price. although it is true that current discs have yet to reach its maximum capacity, it's also not a bad thing to have more space.

Access_Denied

As I said at PSP-Hacks, we need to move to solid state drives. Too many problems with optical media.

But, more on-topic, this discs will be available around 2012, about the time PS3 games will take up around 200GB. And 360 games will take up 9 DVDs. :\

Sinfulfate

i think they would be pretty expensive but imagin what kind of games you can get on 400gb's
They wouldn't be any different than games now. Its not like space is limiting games now.

If i had one extremely long game on 400gb's i dont need to buy another game.
Really? More like just buy a MMO which are usually around 5gbs(Plus expansions and whatnot) and then you would never need to buy another game. Disc Size has nothing to do with the length of a game.

It could probably be used for having a demo of every ps3 gmae and sticking it on one disc. (ide imagin atleast)
You could do the same with a 50gb blu ray disc. Most demo's are 1gb and below so I bet a 50gb blu ray disc could hold every demo that is on the PSN store.

I don't think this will mean anything for gaming but I hope it will mean something for movies. Seeing the three disc blu ray version of The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian really makes me sad. Seriously with 50gbs of space per disc can they really not have the movie and all the special features all on one disc?

Blackout

As I said at PSP-Hacks, we need to move to solid state drives. Too many problems with optical media.

But, more on-topic, this discs will be available around 2012, about the time PS3 games will take up around 200GB. And 360 games will take up 9 DVDs. :\

SSD's are worse when it comes to lifespan. Great for performance though.

SSDs don't sound like a feasible option, depsite the performance gains, SSDs come with a high cost. Additionally, games don't really need write access, unless it's for patches or save data.

BlackBurd

Original Gangstuh
Too be honest i think we should go back to cartredges.

Back when they were popular they didnt do well because of storage limitations but now we see flash drives that can hold 100-200 gb's and more that might be too expensive.

theoretically that can be put in a cartredge and sound quality (wich was one of th 2 reason for switching to discs) has a solution now seeing as mp3 player quality is better than cd quality.

Adiuvo

MP3s have horrible quality compared to CDs.

If we use cartridges for games then the prices will increase past the point of anyone buying them.