• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Activision Security invades Infinity Ward studios

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Destructoid - Infinity Ward invaded by Activision security (Update)

Activision Cites Infinity Ward - Activision - Kotaku

Things seem to be crazy at IW right now, and I wouldn't be amazed if Kotick was to blame. One of IW head honchos seems to have been fired also.

The rumor going around is the following:

Kotaku Poster said:
The RUMOR that's been floating around is that West and Co. flatly refused Activison's "orders" to make MW3 THIS YEAR, along with 3-5 DLC's leading to a surprise showing of MW3 within the last DLC marketing it as a huge reveal. (making gamers anticipate what the big reveal might be, thus making many of them buy it).
West also protested his distaste of another developer making more COD games every year and threatened to leave if MW3 was put into the hands of another developer. Not making MW3 when Activision wanted it (being this year) was the part of the breach of contract.

Wow, this sounds too evil to be true. Even for Activision.

It's ironic that Call of Duty intended to be a departure from the stale war first-person shooter genre, and now has ended up as a yearly refresh. Call of Duty 2010 anyone?

Sucks for Infinity Ward, though. Gives more weight to that the possibility Activision was pulling strings, ie: IWNet.

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
Cudos to infinity ward for refusing to let cod become the lame ass 'few small changes... new release' crap that maden is.

TeamOverload

Honestly, Infinity Ward employees should just follow suit and leave the company as well, then start their own independent studio. They've got the cash.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
This is not the first time the head guys at IW would leave a company. They created the Medal of Honor brand and then had a problem with EA and left to form IW that was then acquired by Activision in 2003.

Maybe we will see a new historical shooter emerge from this?

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
This is not the first time the head guys at IW would leave a company. They created the Medal of Honor brand and then had a problem with EA and left to form IW that was then acquired by Activision in 2003.

Maybe we will see a new historical shooter emerge from this?

They didn't leave on their own will, there's no way they would leave willingly after having the largest entertainment launch. The abrupt leave of the two heads and their social network statuses suggest that they did not leave by their own will (on top of the SEC filing...) It was also reported on another side that IW has not received royalties from Activision with the release of MW2 and that this dispute could've led up to the current situation we are at now, although it is all speculation

Riorio99

I'm just hoping this doesn't lead to a shutdown, and Activi$ion moving the CoD development to Treyarch, so they can crank out some yearly updates.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I'm just hoping this doesn't lead to a shutdown, and Activi$ion moving the CoD development to Treyarch, so they can crank out some yearly updates.

That's exactly what's gonna happen... Treyarch is already at work on the new CoD.

---------- Post added at 08:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 PM ----------

They didn't leave on their own will, there's no way they would leave willingly after having the largest entertainment launch. The abrupt leave of the two heads and their social network statuses suggest that they did not leave by their own will (on top of the SEC filing...) It was also reported on another side that IW has not received royalties from Activision with the release of MW2 and that this dispute could've led up to the current situation we are at now, although it is all speculation

True. I never said they left of their own will though, I should have been more specific. I only meant maybe something good will come out of this ;)

I was tired of CoD anyway, and the tons of glitches in MW2 only said it was a rushed product Mr. Kotick wanted.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
I'm not a big CoD fan, but that's still BS. I'm sure that the guys can start a new company if they wanted because their employees clearly respected them..and when that happens, you get a reputation, especially with that kind of game. I REALLY hope they do that.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I'm not a big CoD fan, but that's still BS. I'm sure that the guys can start a new company if they wanted because their employees clearly respected them..and when that happens, you get a reputation, especially with that kind of game. I REALLY hope they do that.

I would like to see this new team come up with something different. Not that I don't think they can, but because th FPS genre is so oversaturated it hurts.

But only time will tell...

That's exactly what's gonna happen... Treyarch is already at work on the new CoD.

I might buy the new COD...if it turns out plan shit, or no zombie fun. I just sale it to my friend that loves WW2 games.

At least they support PC and xbox 360 with big updates. free (pc only) DLC

MW2 only gets small patchs and fucks off for 2 weeks and patchs it again