• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Are PS3 Games region locked?

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I was testing out Metal Gear Solid (from the US PSN) on a EU PS3 and the game is appearing black and white-ish... Are PS3 games region locked? :( I was going to buy US Burnout Paradise from the Store too :mad:

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I was wondering: isn't there a region-free cable like on the PS2 and PSOne?

Vee

I know the problem:

US games are still made with the NTSU displays, EU uses PAL. NTSU from what i know, displays in 60hz, where as PAL is 50Hz. So if your TV is displaying it in black and white, and there isnt a option to change to 60hz, then your going to have to play it on a different TV.

Most new and lots of old tv's can do it however. I had the problem when playing Blue Rays or American PSN content.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I know the problem:

US games are still made with the NTSU displays, EU uses PAL. NTSU from what i know, displays in 60hz, where as PAL is 50Hz. So if your TV is displaying it in black and white, and there isnt a option to change to 60hz, then your going to have to play it on a different TV.

Most new and lots of old tv's can do it however. I had the problem when playing Blue Rays or American PSN content.

That brings me back to my earlier question: aren't there region-free cables like for the PS2 and PS1?

If I were to play on my monitor I wouldn't have that problem right?

Hellcat

Contributor
This is not a region lock, if there were a region lock, the PS3 would say something like "Game could not be started, wrong region".

It indeed is like already stated above, the game runns in a wrong TV mode for your TV (PAL on NTSC, or NTSC on PAL TV), it's common issue.

Since the AV out of the PS3 is the same as on the PS2 (currently not sure about PS1, could be same as well) you could try one of the RGB SCART cables, success depends again on your TV being capable of displaying RGB input via SCART.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Thanks for all the info :p

But what about the monitor thing I asked? ;)

Bill

Yes, the AV is the same back to the PS1.
And Computer monitors do support both PAL and NTSC refresh rates. (and more)
And I believe HDTV's should all support PAL and NTSC(I believe they operate on more than one refresh rate)