• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Can I upgrade my OS?

Robby

Los Doyers!
I recently got this laptop for free. (My aunt gave me it because she never used it)

Anyways, it has 1GB of RAM installed but I will be upgrading it to 2GB within a week or two.
I was wondering if it would be able to run Windows 7 smoothly once I upgrade it to 2GB of RAM?

Also, this is the first time I am upgrading RAM on a laptop/pc so what would be the best brand of ram to get?

AndyMosh

2 Cups Win, 1 Cup Lulz.
I'd say so, should be no problems at all.

I suggest corsair, or kingston even though the price is a bit ott.

James.

User Not Found
I just skimmed over the specs, but it looks as if it could run Win7.
As for RAM, I have no idea.
/me waits for FrozenIpaq

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Yeah that should run Windows 7 just fine, even with 1gb of RAM (although 2gb is definitely recommended). Windows 7 is on par with XP in terms of requirements (slightly higher requirements but that notebook seems to meet them and is better than most netbooks that are already running Win7). The Harddrive is a little slow so don't expect applications to open quickly. If it doesn't work out for you you can always go back to XP if you choose

Bill

Your processor should be able to run Win7 at a reasonable speed. 2GB of 533 DDR2 is more than sufficient. I have 1GB of DDR 333 ram in the P4, and it runs 7 quite well. The GO 6100 also meets the minimum requirements for Aero, so 7 should run in full glory (albeit not a speed demon).

Robby

Los Doyers!
Thanks for all the fast responses.
I was debating over getting Vista or Windows 7 but I been hearing so many good things about 7, I guess I'll just go to that then.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Thanks for all the fast responses.
I was debating over getting Vista or Windows 7 but I been hearing so many good things about 7, I guess I'll just go to that then.

Definitely go with Windows 7, Vista actually has higher system requirements than Windows 7 (meaning Windows 7 runs better on slower systems than Vista)

Robby

Los Doyers!
Once again thank you very much.

I'm getting Windows 7 right now.