• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Capcom's Lost Planet Movie gets huge budget

Lazaarus

away until Feb 7th
f_hlpmm_c83cde5.png

Back in July MGS actor and Hollywood writer David Hayter said that they planned on bringing Lost Planet to the big screen; now it looks as if the Lost Planet movie adaptation will begin to take shape. Lost Planet is confirmed to be heading to the big screen, not anytime soon however. But the surprising thing is the amount of money going into production of the movie game rendition. In an interview with a Capcom staff member working on the project, he revealed that the movie will be receiving a $150-200 million dollar budget. The movie was picked up by Warner Bros Studios.

Source

Hardrive

Contributor
I played the campaign, and frankly, it wasn't very engaging. No matter how much money they throw at it, I'm still not going to want to go see it.

The only thing that kept me playing that game for so long was playing multiplayer Snipers on Pirate Fortress.

EvilSeph

Administrator
Correct me if I'm wrong, but most movies that are based off of a game aren't generally that well made. Except Final Fantasy, I can't think of any. Now games that are based off of movies? Those usually are well done. Usually.

eldiablov

Contributor
Now games that are based off of movies? Those usually are well done. Usually.

Transformers was terrible. Harry potter series was "meh". Iron man was horrible. The first incredible hulk game was horrible. Anything past spiderman 2 was terrible. I think you know where i'm going with this :laugh:

EvilSeph

Administrator
Hold on a sec, are we talking about the games or the movies?

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
My fault, I had just woke up and misread. I thought you were talking about movies.

Yeah, the Ironman game was beat.

Adiuvo

Spiderman 2 or 3 might fall under the category of good games from movies. At least, I had fun with them.

There was also the animated Spiderman game that was pretty good. I don't remember the name at the moment though.

twelve

I'm not dead
Games based of movies generally suck. Movies based off games have improved a hell of a lot in recent years.

Movies based on games that I've enjoyed:
Silent Hill
Resident Evil (all of them)
Hitman
Max Payne (kinda)
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

Anyway on topic. I really didn't find Lost Planet very entertaining or fun. If they're going to make a movie I hope it's a different story.

Lazaarus

away until Feb 7th
The only problem I could see potentially making this movie a complete waste of time is character development. The main character is completely plain, and besides listening to objectives really doesn't develop any sort of persona throughout the game. Lost Planet had a pretty decent setting, but a movie with dry characters and a dulled storyline won't look good in any environment.

eighty4

Spiderman 2 or 3 might fall under the category of good games from movies. At least, I had fun with them.

There was also the animated Spiderman game that was pretty good. I don't remember the name at the moment though.

All of Spiderman games sucked. Gt a robber, get another, chase a guy, kill a villain, get a robber, get another, chase a guy kill a villain.

Slasher

Suck It
All of Spiderman games sucked. Gt a robber, get another, chase a guy, kill a villain, get a robber, get another, chase a guy kill a villain.

Spider-man 2 for the ps2 was actually a ton of fun. I remember playing that game nonstop, it was one of those games you could get temporarily addicted to. I ate, drank, slept, and thought about web slinging for probably about a week. The sort of freedom of just going wherever you wanted to was somewhat unprecedented at the time

I also have good memories of Spider-man 1 on the ps1, but probably not quite as good as the 2nd one

Lazaarus

away until Feb 7th
The sort of freedom of just going wherever you wanted to was somewhat unprecedented at the time

Exactly. I was maybe nine or ten when they introduced the first movie based Spider Man game. Just slinging yourself around the city was enjoyable. Now where the webs actually stuck would be questioned before the story, gameplay and the like.