• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 Do You People Actually Want The Ps3 To Be Hacked?

Access_Denied

That is perhaps one of the random-assed arguments I have EVER heard.

OK, would it help if I used the term 'upgraded PS3' instead of PS4? Here's the process. The PS3 gets hacked. I hack my console and get free games. 1 month later, Sony releases 'upgraded PS3' that prevents hack. Very few people get free games = developers don't move away from PS3 = PS3 doesn't die.

Is that clear enough for everybody?

EDIT: Yes Seth, not ALL games are worth appreciating, but I find that I play my PS3 games a lot more than my 360 games, even though I have very few PS3 games and any 360 game I want. Just as a general rule, the more you pay for something, the more you appreciate and respect it.

eldiablov

Contributor
OK, would it help if I used the term 'upgraded PS3' instead of PS4? Here's the process. The PS3 gets hacked. I hack my console and get free games. 1 month later, Sony releases 'upgraded PS3' that prevents hack. Very few people get free games = developers don't move away from PS3 = PS3 doesn't die.

It makes more sense now for sure.

Access_Denied

Or the more you hate yourself for purchasing something shitty for 60 bucks

Haven't had the mis-pleasure of doing that...yet. I didn't really like MGS4, but it was OK and it was only $22.50. And it still makes a nice addition to my collection of PS3 exclusives.

And if the PS3 was hacked, I would honestly probably use it more for homebrew than anything else. The PS3 is a beast. It can be my media center, my PC, my gaming console, etc. If it could run homebrew and extend those capabilities, I could throw away my POS 360.

Hellcat

Contributor
I would very much like to see some way of running own/non-official stuff on the PS3 (native, not Linux) - usermode only would already be perfect as 1) you don't really need more unless you want to make "fishy" things, 2) no pirated stuff launching things can be done.

Unfortunately, due to the tight security, all "hacks" will most likely either end up with, or require kernel mode.

And who tells you would able to load backups thru USB?
One word: "BDEMU"
Another word: "Streaming from PC over network" (ok that was multiple words....)

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
Haven't had the mis-pleasure of doing that...yet. I didn't really like MGS4, but it was OK and it was only $22.50. And it still makes a nice addition to my collection of PS3 exclusives.

And if the PS3 was hacked, I would honestly probably use it more for homebrew than anything else. The PS3 is a beast. It can be my media center, my PC, my gaming console, etc. If it could run homebrew and extend those capabilities, I could throw away my POS 360.

Don't get me wrong I'm not justifying piracy.

And to stay on topic, honestly I don't mind if the ps3 is never hacked. I'm not all that interested in homebrew, and I don't "need" to pirate games.

DarkGamer

PRo GaMeR
i think they sell pirated games in malaysia for half of the price

Blackout

I want the PS3 to be hacked.

-Custom Theme support (Just look at the select line up for the psp, looks amazing)
-Broader Codec support (.mkv etc instead of using a java server to convert on the fly ;))
-Emulators (Older EOL consoles)
-Better PS3 Browser Support and possibly other better integrations (Fire Fox/IE/Opera/etc)
-Better Facebook and Other bullshit integration
-Just customizable interface wise, and just anything possible that doesn't relate to ps3 game pirating.

El Diablo

Doesn't the ps3 already have custom theme support? I haven't really been paying attention to the psp scene for the past few years but the theme I have on my psp from when they came out doesn't have anything different than the ps3 themes I know of.

James.

User Not Found
Ah, I remember the days of the first custom xmb icons on psp. Nobody believed the guy who originally posted them ):

Adiuvo

PS3 theme support with the animated themes is pretty good as is. Personally, I think the kind of custom menus we have on the PSP wouldn't work on a TV screen.

Doesn't the ps3 already have custom theme support? I haven't really been paying attention to the psp scene for the past few years but the theme I have on my psp from when they came out doesn't have anything different than the ps3 themes I know of.

There are, but some people were able to craft the XMB further through custom themes, even to the point where the XMB looked like something else entirely. Schmilk's PSP themes are a good example.

Blackout

PS3 theme support with the animated themes is pretty good as is. Personally, I think the kind of custom menus we have on the PSP wouldn't work on a TV screen.

personally I would be satisfied if they let users customize it. Loved the animated themes too but they seem to generic IMO.

Select

It would be nice if the PS3 gets hacked, but only if the world was a nice place where everybody respected each other (and dev's). In a world where is no drama and world peace. So that there is no need for piracy.

*sigh*I'll just keep on dreaming...

Hellcat

Contributor
It would be nice if the PS3 gets hacked, but only if the world was a nice place where everybody respected each other (and dev's). In a world where is no drama and world peace. So that there is no need for piracy.

*sigh*I'll just keep on dreaming...
Yeah, nice dream.
But this is *SO* not gonna happen.... :-/