• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PC EA To Launch Origin, New Social Digital Distribution Service

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
origin.jpg

EA will soon launch Origin, a new digital distribution service that aims to compete with Steam in terms of features. According to a Wall Street Journal report, it's a singular application that will allow users to "purchase, download and keep track of games for PCs." It also boasts "Facebook-like" social-networking functionality that allows friends to communicate with each other while gaming.

Yup, sounds a lot like Steam[...]

Continue reading: EA To Launch Origin, New Social Digital Distribution Service...

Adiuvo

I really don't see the point of companies still trying to compete with Steam. Nobody will leave it in mass numbers.

At least this will keep pushing Steam to create better features, I suppose.

hush404

Ugh... another POS software that developers try to make us use? Fuck off and just leave me with my steam.

El Diablo

I remember hearing a while that Blizzard Activision wanted to do their own things like this but for just their games. I'm going to be really pissed when you start only being able to get CoD on their own little thing and only be able to talk to people in WoW and other crap. Steam is amazing, and ALL games should be on it, not them trying to come up with their own fail way to replace it and just removing games that would have been on steam.

hush404

@KezraPlanes - If it boils down to it, people will use the service just for that game and then forgo caring about it further.
I honestly hate the idea that every damn company out there wants to make their games only on their platforms... Its one thing to offer incentives to get users to move to their service... but forcing people to use it just because you're being stupid and not allowing your game to be released elsewhere is the dumbest thing I've ever encountered.