• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Multi EA's Online Pass

TeamOverload

Now this is some messed up stuff, especially for those who already have 360s and pay for XBOX Live. It seems EA's next extension of Project Ten Dollar is simply including a code with new purchases of the game to allow one to play online. Therefore those who buy the game used must purchase a code to allow them to play online. Seems rather unethical to me, and a bit of a stretch of an extension to Project Ten dollar. Thoughts?

Pokemanz master

Lowering your IQ
Its a new form of DRM for consoles.
This is pretty sick and twisted since I buy most my games used to save money.

EA had did this for BC2.
If you bought Bad Company 2 new you get V.I.P code with all the maps for free.

Hopefully no one buy this new EA game with these type of drm.
I say this is unfair.
Not only to people buy games second hand to save money in this economy

We already seen the road of PC DRM.

Serideth

I see nothing wrong with it as long as they're doing this to stop piracy, I presume they will be lowering the prices of their console games then?

Cryox

Bro.
I see nothing wrong with it as long as they're doing this to stop piracy, I presume they will be lowering the prices of their console games then?

I doubt it.

Cryox

Bro.
Daylight robbery then. Hopefully people will start to realize console gaming is going down the pan fast.

PC gaming is no different.

Also now, not only will someone have to buy a ~$60 game, but for every other person that wants to play besides the original purchaser, another $10 or w/e will have to be tacked on. That's bull imo.

Adiuvo

I have no problem with this. It's a good form of DRM and stops pirated copies from being played online.

Slasher

Suck It
I have no problem with this. It's a good form of DRM and stops pirated copies from being played online.

Yep, pretty much

All this sounds like is just a 'cd-key-like' approach that many PC games have been using for years now... I wouldn't be surprised if cd gens came out or something to combat these attempts.

Honestly, Starcraft uses cdkeys to prevent people from entering battlenet (only one person per cdkey can be allowed on bnet at a time), and I think to date it still has never been properly cracked or regenerated and this game has been out since the mid to late 90's. Seems effective to me, and it wasn't so bad because the method they used only prevented people with the same cdkey from being online at the exact same time. I wonder if that would be the case here as well

TeamOverload

Its a new form of DRM for consoles.
This is pretty sick and twisted since I buy most my games used to save money.

EA had did this for BC2.
If you bought Bad Company 2 new you get V.I.P code with all the maps for free.

Hopefully no one buy this new EA game with these type of drm.
I say this is unfair.
Not only to people buy games second hand to save money in this economy

We already seen the road of PC DRM.

That type of thing I would say is fine. To limit NEW content that wasn't originally available, fine. But to prevent used copies from being played online at all without paying for XBOX Live and a code is just absurd. That I can't agree with, and I rarely buy used games, so I'm not arguing for my own sake, I just plain think it's not right.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I both love it and hate it. I hate companies that make a a load off of used game sales (when the publisher gets nothing of those sales) so I completely understand where they are coming from. Recently I've bought most of my games new, while on sale. I picked up a few games in the fall on sale, $20 for Uncharted 2 (with a promo code I had from Amazon as well) and ODST for $30. You just need to shop smart these days :p

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
Okay, so Pirates now pay $10 for a legitimate key while you pay your $60 and as soon as you use that code your game depreciates $10 plus the normal depreciation for games.

And say you don't sell back your games, if your console malfunctions and you have to get a new one, you will need to pay $10 again for each game you want to play again. And what happens when you want to take the game to your friends house to play a few rounds, nope cant do that, need to pay $10.

This is not the way to stop piracy, its a crappy form of DRM and another way to rip off their customers who just want to save a few dollars buying used.

Robby

Los Doyers!
Yeah this is a strike against piracy and a way for developers to get money from used game sales. Win win.

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
I agree devs deserve the money, but they made money on that game already sold. Do car companies get money when you buy their used car? No. Do movie studios get money for used DVDs? No. Why should game developers be any different? If you like a game developer so much that you think they deserve extra money, donate to them, then they get 100% of that money.

Places like Gamestop are business geniuses because they get people to trade in their games for a ridiculously low price, and then get people to buy that same game for a huge markup. If people stopped buying and trading into Gamestop it would die, but that won't happen because people keep going back. There are alternatives to Gamestop, and even ways to get good deals from Gamestop, you just have to be a smart shopper.

And if this sneaks into to console gaming, although its only for online access for games right now, it'll turn into a key for full access, and not just from EA games. They have already screwed us by taking out content and calling it extra DLC (I'm looking at you Ubisoft).

EA is not on the verge of bankruptcy, I don't see why they need to do this.

Slasher

Suck It
Okay, so Pirates now pay $10 for a legitimate key while you pay your $60 and as soon as you use that code your game depreciates $10 plus the normal depreciation for games.

And say you don't sell back your games, if your console malfunctions and you have to get a new one, you will need to pay $10 again for each game you want to play again. And what happens when you want to take the game to your friends house to play a few rounds, nope cant do that, need to pay $10.

This is not the way to stop piracy, its a crappy form of DRM and another way to rip off their customers who just want to save a few dollars buying used.

You're retarded. It has NOTHING to do with ripping off the consumer. It has EVERYTHING to do with the fact that they see NONE of the used game sales money, until now. You can still buy used games! You just have to buy a redeemer to play online, so that way the devs actually get their money, since it's INCREDIBLY wrong for places like gamestop to buy used games for 1/100th (Exaggeration) of the real price then sell it for maybe half the normal price.

The devs have to make money too, making games isn't cheap bud.

I fail to see what makes Sousanator "retarded" based on what he said. Prick.

If what he says is true (honestly, I can't be bothered to check up on it myself), then he most definitely has a point that this new system being implemented without a doubt restricts/shafts the consumer under these very legitimate circumstances.

I can see piracy being one reason this decision is being made. It forces pirates to pay regardless of whether they actually bought the game or not, while those people who actually bought the game get simultaneously shafted by being forced to pay an additional fee to the fee they already paid (again, given the things Sousanator explained are indeed actually true). I'm sure there can be better ways to go about this.

Now you also have a point, one reason I'm sure propelling this decision is that EA can now generate revenue via used games that support online play. But how can you possibly, without reason, come to the conclusion that this decision has "everything" to do with getting sales from used games? Show me where EA explicitly says this. I can guarantee you there were other factors contributing to this decision. Open your mind to something beyond your own narrow views.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
Hey numbnuts, it's online that you pay for. You can buy the used game..you just can't play online without a redeemer.

DVD's aren't played online, cars aren't played online, etc etc.

This IS in console games (this isn't about the you-must-need-internet-to-play games, this is about needing the redeemer to play online), it's in FTB3 for the PSP.
Hey shitstain, stop calling people names for no reason. If you want to disagree with someone, do so in a civil manner or get the fuck out.

Pokemanz master

Lowering your IQ
EA DRM effects on halo:

1: go over to a friend house
2:"hey lets play halo3/halo reach"
3:YOUR FRIEND MUST BUY A 10$ KEY JUST TO PLAY ONLINE WITH YOU
(this is a example)
These effects aren't great, nor do you want your friend messing up your stats.
I'm still person who loan games out with each other.
This isn't great news.

This isn't way to stop pirates.