• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Epic Citadel

madsoul

The tech demo that was on the keynote is out for FREE right now! It works on 3gs, 4 and Ipad only. Been playing it on my 3gs and... DAMN... It feels almost unreal playing something this detailed that I can hold in the palm of my hand! And also thinking you had a kinda outdated phone allready... Shit...

Here are some screens I have taken from the demo:

IMG_1215.png

IMG_1213.png

IMG_1211.png

IMG_1210.png

IMG_1209.png

IMG_1208.png

IMG_1207.png

IMG_1206.png

IMG_1204.png

IMG_1202.png

IMG_1201.png

IMG_1200.png

IMG_1198.png

IMG_1197.png

And here is a link to the app:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/epic-citadel/id388888815?mt=8

And Epic is apparently giving away the development kit for free to all Appstore developers! Cant WAIT to see other apps like this. Holyshieeeet.

El Diablo

Wait, those screen shots are from a game on a phone? Jesus christ.

madsoul

Wait, those screen shots are from a game on a phone? Jesus christ.

Yes. Just a tech demo, but hopefully there will be full games later this year. Or later on. And these screens are just from my 3gs!

---------- Post added 09-02-2010 at 12:08 AM ---------- Previous post was 09-01-2010 at 11:53 PM ----------

[video=youtube;jqYi_WRq6M4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqYi_WRq6M4[/video]

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
It's great and all, but I wish Apple would just add some dedicated buttons or an attachment to make it really game-friendly. Very impressed by it but I feel as if the power is wasted on a device with no physical controls

madsoul

It's great and all, but I wish Apple would just add some dedicated buttons or an attachment to make it really game-friendly. Very impressed by it but I feel as if the power is wasted on a device with no physical controls

I think the touchscreen together with gyroscope and tilt CAN make up for lack of physical buttons. The developers just have to use there creativity and find other good ways to control there games. However, since the iphone touchscreen is one of the best there is, there is no real problem imo to use fake buttons etc. It works pretty well.

LocutusEstBorg

Just tried it out and it is EPIC, especially the size of the level. However I'm not looking forward to it. PSP2 will own this and it's unborn children.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
I think the touchscreen together with gyroscope and tilt CAN make up for lack of physical buttons. The developers just have to use there creativity and find other good ways to control there games. However, since the iphone touchscreen is one of the best there is, there is no real problem imo to use fake buttons etc. It works pretty well.

i'd have to disagree, for a fps, a touch screen simply does not suffice, nor do fake buttons, without any type of physical stimulus, it really disables senses imo, and generally control with fake buttons, just are not good.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
i'd have to disagree, for a fps, a touch screen simply does not suffice, nor do fake buttons, without any type of physical stimulus, it really disables senses imo, and generally control with fake buttons, just are not good.

I disagree with your disagreement. xD

THPS2 uses a button overlay and it works perfectly fine. I've 100%'d the career with 5 characters and found all the gaps in the game. On the other hand, the overlay used by Sega for it's Sonic games is horrid. It doesn't work nearly as well.

Also, I did have Epic Citadel installed and it was awesome. Really amazing looking on my iPhone 4. I did take screenshots but can't remember what I did with them... :S

LocutusEstBorg

There are no words to describe how lame and crappy it feels to play the same game on the iPhone after playing them on the PSP.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
I disagree with your disagreement. xD

THPS2 uses a button overlay and it works perfectly fine. I've 100%'d the career with 5 characters and found all the gaps in the game. On the other hand, the overlay used by Sega for it's Sonic games is horrid. It doesn't work nearly as well.

Also, I did have Epic Citadel installed and it was awesome. Really amazing looking on my iPhone 4. I did take screenshots but can't remember what I did with them... :S

i guess my opinion comes from poor experience of 3d games on the iphone, most of the ones i've tried attempted to use fake buttons, but overall it was just difficult to control, or to do anything, i haven't come across one that has successfully managed to create controls which were actually good.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
i guess my opinion comes from poor experience of 3d games on the iphone, most of the ones i've tried attempted to use fake buttons, but overall it was just difficult to control, or to do anything, i haven't come across one that has successfully managed to create controls which were actually good.

Agreed, I just can't get used to touch sensitive controls that use a button overlay. It feels so unnatural to me.