• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 Gearbox Prez question Valve's lack of PS3 Support

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
In an interview with OPM UK, here's what Gearbox President Randy Pitchford had to say about Valve's lack of support for the PS3.

OPM UK said:
"the PS3 is awesome. I think Valve...I don't know why they are doing that. It's weird. but yeah, the Playstation platform's really cool. It's different to others and it's certainly a challenge to be able to develop software for. But that's where the fun is, right?"

I noticed something on the net not too long ago. Doug Lombardi (Valve's VP Marketing) had to take a swipe at the PS3 again, and I thought it was foolish. I read it the same way I read fanboys. Like there's a guy who brought the Sony platform and he's a Sony guy, so he decides he's going to spend a certain percentage of his time bashing Microsoft. And there's a guy on Microsoft doing the same thing. Those guys are childish and narrow minded, It's the same kind of thing" Randy then takes the comments to a more personal level "Valve think their own stuff is the only stuff that matters, to the point where they have their own distribution platform. It's like, I don't care about retail, about Marketplace, or PSN, I'm going to have Steam. It's cool, it's good, and they're doing a good job but at the same time they're reliant on the rest of the world. They had to do that deal with EA. When I see the L4D ad on the television I don't see a Valve logo, I see a EA logo, and when I bought it, I bought it at a store".

"I'm actually kind of mad at Doug because with the Orange Box, he said the 360 and PC versions are the good ones and the PS3 version is like the stepchild because some other developer made it. Well you Valve don't really think that, because look what you've done on the PC side. You've supported that, you've added all this content to Team Fortress 2, and you've left us hanging. It's hard to accept that genuinely, because I know the business, I know you guys make half the money on the PS3 version because you've got other fingers in the pie, and other developers getting a cut. It benefits you if nobody buys that, and only buys the PC version, because you make the most money. There's this underlying sleaziness. You know what, I thought the performance was a little slower on the PS3, but it Looked better. The colors were nicer, I thought the image looked better on PS3. It was a trade-off between the performance and the visuals. And I like visuals".

Thoughts?

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
Not surprising to say the least.

What he says is the blunt truth I think.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
He seems real bitter at Valve. I don't know why. They've apologized to PS3 owners, what more can you ask for? Unlike many multiplatform developers, Valve does not half ass things. Sure, they could throw out a sloppy port of L4D on PS3, but do you really want that? Besides, Valve is a smaller studio and does not have the manpower to make the required changes to Source in order to get it running optimally on PS3. This is partially Sony's fault, as architecturally, they took a design decision that was considerably different from the 360 and your standard PC. And for what gain? Games on the 360 usually run better and look better. The only exception is PS3 exclusives.

One other thing I will say. Valve does not lose by not producing games for PS3. Gamers and Sony themselves do. SCE needs to step up their game in terms of developer relations for the PS4. If everyone was on the same page this whole 'PS3 is hard to develop for' talk could have been avoided.

user friendly

Still kind of silly for them to not bother with PS3 development. I'm sure PS4 is going to include an upgraded version of the Cell processor, why not get your bearings now? Almost every other developer is going to have a massive head start, but I guess that won't matter because Valve will probably still be using Source.

It's odd though, I found Orange Box to be entirely playable on the PS3. I did notice slowdown but with more effort it would more than likely be fine. Source already runs on the PS3, how much more work could it honestly take? Randy does seem bitter about though doesn't he.

You also have to remember VALVe's relativley small, and it's developers are more experienced with DirectX, and hence less competent with OpenGL, not to mention the task of coding for a multicore machine like the CELL. The 360, however, has got DirectX and only three, more powerful cores. The 360's more simple architecture allows for much easier development (Hence the multiplatform lenience to the 360).

I don't think it was out of 'fanboy-ism' that VALVe skipped on the PS3, I just think they wouldn't of found it profitable enough.

superste2201

Valve are lazy, that is the only reason. Xbox 360 and PC are extremly similiar platforms, PS3 is a change. Classic PC dev behavior.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
If the 360 and PC version is successful why bother learning how to work with another architecture?

True. They never really supported Sony platforms so why bother now?

Colm

If the 360 and PC version is successful why bother learning how to work with another architecture?

To reach new market share?
I mean, if I was developing for two out of three leading systems and could get possibly half a million sales on the third system, I would consider the third.

Riorio99

I don't have a problem with Valve not supporting the PS3, as much as it is a shame that I won't be able to play L4D or whatever.
I have a problem with the fanboy-ish comments that they've made recently, attacking the PSN and such. If they don't like the PS3, don't make games for it.
Everyone is comfortable that there are PC/Console exclusives like Halo and Gears and what not, but those developers aren't coming out complaining about a console they don't work with.

Colm

1st party exclusives are a completely different matter though. If MS owns the rights, of course they'll retain them.

Adiuvo

Valve isn't a first party company, and that's what makes these comments seem so ridiculous. Even a few MS devs say they respect the PS3 and it's development, and they don't rag on it constantly like Valve does.