• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Google announces Chrome OS

They are working on a distro that simply runs... a browser.

Hardly innovative. Pointless, even. Why take functionality out of a platform already proven to be more capable? Okay, you can get onto the internet quicker... That's the only advantage I see here.

Bill

I wonder how long Chrome OS will be beta...

EDIT: I just found a disturbing quote:
With the full faith and credit of Google behind a radically new "cloud" OS -- relieving users of tedious things like backing up files, or installing applications -- Microsoft's quest to tie up the netbook market, without allowing it to compete for the low end of desktops, could face significant challenges in the years ahead.

Moose

Meta Moose
I'm interested to use this, but at the same time I can see it being an OS that is simply a 'bettered' Google Desktop.

Joey

I have to say, if anybody could make a compelling... Well, anything, it's Google... I just don't see how they can really change the OS game.

I'm sorry, but Win7 is fucking perfect in my eyes. It's a damn beta, and I haven't had a single problem with it.

Moose

Meta Moose
Yup, I'm loving Windows 7 at the moment. They have some work to do if they want to top Win7.

EDIT: And they can fuck off if I can't even install applications on the OS.

Adiuvo

Yeah, it's useless. You would be severely gimping your computer if you had this installed, no matter how old it is,

agentnnc

That Guy I Am
Let's see...First Google Mail, then the Google android phone, then Google Chrome, Now the google OS.

Coming soon: Google Blu-Ray!!!

Seth

MD Party Room
Meh google console with bluray ftw.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
I'd just run Fedora LXDE in all honestly. It's simple, and it doesn't deprive you of all the extra garbage.

What I'm really hoping is that it attracts people to the Linux market and people realize that Linux actually has significant potential(And IMO moreso than windows, as the only reason I use windows is because some game makers chose the platform). This will either do good or do bad on either side.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
I find it hilarious that konqueror has been doing what Google intend to do for ages.