• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

[GUIDE] Sending homebrew over WiFi using WiiLoad

WiiLoad - Sending Brew over WiFi

[FIELDSET="Preface"]
You may have seen it on YouTube, where homebrew is automigically loaded from a computer without the need of it being on the SD card. This is the work of WiiLoad, a feature built in to the HBC. Using it, you can send .dols straight to your wii, and execute them.[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="What's The Point?"]
Addmitedly, WiiLoad is not a suitable replacement for homebrew loading, but it comes in handy for those run-once installers (like DVDx) or for homebrew you want to try out.[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="Materials"]
  • Wii (duh)
  • Wireless Network
  • A PC (OS X\Linux\Windows)
[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="Process"]
[FIELDSET="Setting up the PC"]1. Get the relevant WiiLoad executable for your system from the HBC's archive in the WiiLoad folder. You may also attempt to build it from source, if the compiled binary doesen't work.

2. Place the executable in a place where it can be executed from. You may choose to add

3. We now have to specify the Wii's IP address. For OS X or Linux users, edit your .profile in you home folder to include the line
Code:
export WIILOAD=tcp:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is your Wii's IP address. For windows users, ou will have to add an environment variable for Wiiload. To do this:
1. Right click the My Computer icon on the desktop and click on Properties.
2. Click on the Advanced tab and click the Environment Variables button.
3. Click the New button under the User Variables section.
4. For variable name, put WIILOAD, and for variable value, put tcp:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="Setting up the Wii"]1. Fire up the HBC, and check your Wii's IP by pressing home. It should match the one specified earlier.[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="Sending Brew"]1. In the console, type
Code:
wiiload app.dol
Linux and OS X users type in
Code:
./wiiload app.dol
where app.dol is the executable. For this to work, WiiLoad must either be on the path or be in the same folder as app.dol.

2. The HBC will pop up with a progress bar and download the app. The app will then execute. That's it![/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="Notes"]
  • This guide assumes you have a static IP set up for your Wii. Those with Dynamic IPs may choose to make a script that sets the IP and executes WiiLoad
[/FIELDSET]
[/FIELDSET]

As always, feel free to post any troubles you may have along the way and any suggestions. Hope it helps!

Proxin

I'm sorry I'm completely new to this, but what's HBC? And is WiiLoad automatically able to be accessed on stock Wiis updated with the newest version and everything?
Until now I wasn't aware there was even homebrew on the Wii yet without modding the console... :|

Proxin

Twilight Hack...?
Does it require any hardware modding?

Edit: I'll go look elsewhere for it, as this is probably the wrong place for it and I don't want it to get dragged off-topic. :)

matt

Proxin said:
Twilight Hack...?
Does it require any hardware modding?

Edit: I'll go look elsewhere for it, as this is probably the wrong place for it and I don't want it to get dragged off-topic. :)
Just look in this thread.