• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Here's a homebrew question

Gwapingn8

After seing all the re-makes of RPG games such as Final Fantasy & Chrono trigger on the DS and not on the PSP.... i'm thinking and perhaps getting a DS as well, just to play to Remakes of RPG games....

now my question... I will buy a new DS... most likely the Lite one..
what do I need to do to make it able to play hombrew games, like PSP.

I heard such things as M3 & R4.... are they to be physically installed?
or will be installed like a firmware such as PSP's famous M33s & OEs...
and is it easy as well? please let me know..

thanks

rabbit

Awesome
DS homebrew is far easier than PSP homebrew. All you need is an M3 or R4 card (there are others, but they suck next to M3/R4) and a microsd card. M3 and R4 work on all DS lites out of the box, and you never have to do any firmware flashing or anything.

The M3/R4 cards are like normal DS games, they go right into the slot and load up like a normal game.

Gwapingn8

thx rabbit... that seemed simple enough..

i guess it's better to buy a DS than to expect a DS emulation on the PSP.

it's probably futile to even expect DS to be decoded to PSP..

if I knew anything about programing, i'd do it...

PSP is the best portable gaming console out there... but dang those great RPG being remade and ported to DS...

SQUARE ENIX, please make more RPG on PSP

Darkchild

The Doctor
awww beat me to it XD

Well, as said above, M3 and R4 are the best, you can even use a M3 Simply with R4's firmware (which is updated more frequently) but that's a whole nother story :3

but mind you! DS Homebrew has one little special thing, you have to buy the nds files to run in your Cartridge (Google DLDI)

after that, you are OK to go!

(if you buy M3DS Real plus expansion pack you can also play GBA games and homebrew (yes, there is homebrew for the GBA))

Gwapingn8

awww beat me to it XD

Well, as said above, M3 and R4 are the best, you can even use a M3 Simply with R4's firmware (which is updated more frequently) but that's a whole nother story :3

but mind you! DS Homebrew has one little special thing, you have to buy the nds files to run in your Cartridge (Google DLDI)

after that, you are OK to go!

(if you buy M3DS Real plus expansion pack you can also play GBA games and homebrew (yes, there is homebrew for the GBA))

i'll stick to homebrew gba on psp... i have the games i wanted on it for my kiddies..

one more question please.... i saw this thing by a local shop... which says it will include a NDS lite, with R4, + 30 games , 2gb (micro or ds... i ain't sure) and also a dstt for $250.

is this a good deal? but aside from that info... what the heck is a DSTT does this differ from the R4 or M3..... or is this an app. to boost homebrew compatability? i'm lost...

i'm simply thinking of buying a DS just because of all the Final Fantasy remakes landing its way to DS consoles only, and now they are even making a remake of the best classic rpg chrono trigger... WAHHHH:crying:.... whay nothing for psp...:glare:

why square do that, oh wells, SNES was the best console at that time of age so Square stood by nintendo.. now they are with Sony

and by the way... thanks for the answers guys...

Darkchild

The Doctor
DSTT is a cheap linker like R4 and M3

I've tested one once, but just mind you, it didn't last 2 months till it got broke xD try not to remove it too often if you do use it (made with cheap parts)

and yes, imho its a good deal xD

rabbit

Awesome
Are the games actual games, or are they discs with the NDS ROM files? If they are just a lot of ROMs, it's a terrible deal, but if it's actual games (and they are good ones), then yeah, it's a good deal.

Gwapingn8

Are the games actual games, or are they discs with the NDS ROM files? If they are just a lot of ROMs, it's a terrible deal, but if it's actual games (and they are good ones), then yeah, it's a good deal.

i'm assuming they are rip-offs... just like those PSP deals you get with games included... SCAM!!!!! this is a dis-grace to DAX... and to think this people CHARGE... sorry for the RANTING...

but yes.. i assume that this is a back-up file from their lot.

rabbit

Awesome
Then I'd say don't buy it. You'd be supporting piracy, and, honestly, it's cheaper to pirate them yourself.

Gwapingn8

Then I'd say don't buy it. You'd be supporting piracy, and, honestly, it's cheaper to pirate them yourself.

that is true... with knowledge and information you can pirate for yourself... but who would do that... no sir, I don't buy piracy... that only feeds them the fuel to go much further. :sneaky2:

Darkchild

The Doctor
well, you can still buy an R4 or DSTT, buying these doesn't actually mean you're gonna do piracy, you can use them for homebrew like I do <3 (Made my DS into a PDA)

rabbit

Awesome
I pirate things. There's no way in hell I'm gonna carry around all my DS and GBA carts "just in case" when I can just load the ROMs.

Gwapingn8

I pirate things. There's no way in hell I'm gonna carry around all my DS and GBA carts "just in case" when I can just load the ROMs.

i think more people pirate not just around here in exophase but all over the world... more than what people admits....8)

DredS

Thats very true. :wink:
Why would people buy games if they had the knowledge to pirate?

Darkchild

The Doctor
to pay the programmers for a good job!

I usually buy the games I like, I see roms as a "Try before you buy" thing