• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Hot Hot Hot!

dennis96411

My CPU cores usually runs at 60* C most of the time, and occasionally goes to 70* C. And my TJunction [According to Intel] is 100* C. Is it normal for my CPU to run that hot? I notice many people's CPU runs at 50* C and less! BTW it's a Core i7-720QM.

angelsniper45

60*C? Thats reaaaallly hot. Try using speedfan, google it and try to get accurateish readings.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
That kind of temp is normal with i7s unless you have installed an aftermarket cooler. Also remember that since this is a laptop, the temperature delta can vary depending upon room temperature more than it would with a desktop.

Basically, anything around 70 C is considered a safe zone for prolonged periods of usage. The chip can handle up to 99 C before it starts to throttle. Intel's safeguards kick in at 100 C so it doesn't melt :p

I doubt there's any option available to control fan speed - OEMs like Dell usually disable access to that stuff.

dennis96411

That kind of temp is normal with i7s unless you have installed an aftermarket cooler. Also remember that since this is a laptop, the temperature delta can vary depending upon room temperature more than it would with a desktop.

Basically, anything around 70 C is considered a safe zone for prolonged periods of usage. The chip can handle up to 99 C before it starts to throttle. Intel's safeguards kick in at 100 C so it doesn't melt :p

I doubt there's any option available to control fan speed - OEMs like Dell usually disable access to that stuff.

ZOMG! I don't want it to melt! :D So I guess this is normal. Thanks for the reply.