• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.
  • If your profile is showing up as Not Ranked, please review our rules page and follow the appeal process detailed there.

How are people getting achievements for something that isn’t even released yet?

Grunge

There is a dlc pack for a game I play that is coming out soon. A week ago it had preemptively added achievements for this dlc pack and somehow several people already have them. It bums me out pretty bad because I was thinking I’d be one of the first to get some of these achievements but apparently not. I am wondering how that’s possible? Are they cheating and using the unlock tool?

Couple of possible reasons!

1. Pre-release codes: Sometimes reviewers will get a code to redeem/play early so they can have a review ready on launch day. If the achievements are already uploaded, it is possible to earn achievements during this period. I've seen it with DLC as well.
2. Region: Sometimes games in multiple regions have different achievement lists. A lot of time they share one. If the game released early somewhere else and it shares a list, that is a possibility. Probably a pretty rare instance with DLC though.
3. Cheating: Unfortunately, it is always a possibility. This community is pretty good at removing cheaters. If you have suspicions about someone, follow this advice:

"Users on Exophase can assist with identifying cheaters by reporting them. In the header of each profile page there is a Report link that you can use. Please only use this for reporting cheaters, not for general issues."

I don't work/represent the site, but i am curious - what game are we talking about? Might help get a clearer answer!

Back