• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

iPhone OS 4.0 Wrap-up: What it Means for You

PSPHax0r9

Quality Haxing Since 1991
Objective-C is nothing like Java, at least what makes it Objective-C. Java is based on C++, so yes, it has inherent similarities because Objective-C is just C with a bunch of smart-talk-like additions, but they're still really different, and a lot of the shortcuts that people learned in Java class do not work at all in C or C++, thus making it hard to learn. I know even though I know a portion of C, C# or Java is way different, just the overall structure of how they code, like what you do in C is in no way what you do in C#, and vice-versa.

The "deal with it" part is a huge turn-off to devs. Huge.

When learning it I found it to be very similar. I don't know what shortcuts are really that different. I would learn something syntactical and 9 times out of 10 I would say to myself "Oh, that's just like ____ in Java!" Both languages are also object-oriented, so the overall structure is very similar.

But then again maybe I'm just bitter about my already having to learn a new language to make [decent] iPhone apps :p And I don't really care if the devs who develop shitty Java/Flash/whatever apps get turned off. When you make an app without using the tools and resources available and in essence hack it to work on the platform, it just won't perform as well. End of story. Those developers will not be missed.

B

Bizarre

I don't know anything techincal but why not add all the features to the iPod touch 2G?

MenaceInc

Staff Member
I don't know anything techincal but why not add all the features to the iPod touch 2G?

iPod Touch 2G only has 128MB of RAM compared to the iPod Touch 3G having 256MB of RAM. It was a memory limit issue.