• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Is there ANY way to get Tekken Tag playable on the PSP?

First of all, I just want to say that Tekken Tag Tournament IS portable now, thanks to the arcade version being emulated in MAME. Even though you need a fast computer to run the game at full speed, this is a terrific accomplishment.

But to me, the game is only "semi"-portable. I'd like to get the game working on my PSP, that way I can play the game virtually anywhere I go.

Here are two questions I have. Try to answer the first one the most positive way you can, but if you can't, then please answer the second question instead:

1) Is there any way to port Tekken Tag to the PSP, either by emulating the arcade version in some way or modifying the PS2 version so it can run on PSP architecture? And at a playable speed as well?

2) I can run Tekken Tag on my laptop, but vanilla MAME 0.136 is very slow on that computer. What's the fastest known version of MAME out there that's up to date with vanilla MAME? And how do I tweak it so that it can run Tekken Tag at full speed?

MenaceInc

Staff Member
First of all, I just want to say that Tekken Tag Tournament IS portable now, thanks to the arcade version being emulated in MAME. Even though you need a fast computer to run the game at full speed, this is a terrific accomplishment.

But to me, the game is only "semi"-portable. I'd like to get the game working on my PSP, that way I can play the game virtually anywhere I go.

Here are two questions I have. Try to answer the first one the most positive way you can, but if you can't, then please answer the second question instead:

1) Is there any way to port Tekken Tag to the PSP, either by emulating the arcade version in some way or modifying the PS2 version so it can run on PSP architecture? And at a playable speed as well?

2) I can run Tekken Tag on my laptop, but vanilla MAME 0.136 is very slow on that computer. What's the fastest known version of MAME out there that's up to date with vanilla MAME? And how do I tweak it so that it can run Tekken Tag at full speed?

1) There isn't unfortunately. The PSP just wouldn't be powerful enough to emulate the arcade board at full speed and modifying the binary for the PS2 version wouldn't work. If you somehow managed to get the source code for TTT from Namco then there would be a chance to port it.

2) There's not a lot you could do with MAME either. There's no magic switch or tweak that will give you fullspeed emulation if the hardware isn't powerful enough to do it. It's the same as my computer and emulating a Sega Saturn, it's just not playable.

I'm sorry but that is the harsh truth. If you did want portable TTT, the best advice I could maybe give you is if you were to get a PS2 Slim and a portable screen thingy that had a battery supply as well. Haven't seen any of those in years though.

*sigh*

Thanks for your help though. I'll try the monitor suggestion.

I can still play Tekken Tag Arcade on library computers that have fast speed.

january39

eXo Staff
PS2's are very cheap to buy now, the irony is i have a ps2 and a copy of tekken tag right in front of me now, lol. Great Game btw. :p

Adydsauza

The fact that we still don't have a tag battle is inexcusible. Since Tekken 5 and 6 already feature most of the characters from the entire series, all that's needed to complete the wishes for a Tekken Tag Tournament 2 would be a simple Tag mode. If Dead or Alive can do it, Tekken can as well. If the Tekken Team is too lazy to get Tag to work in enclosed stages, then they could just relegate the Tag mode to only the "inifinite" stages. Might as well throw in Unkown as a bonus boss, right?