• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Is This a Good Purchase?

dennis96411

I want to buy this camera for $89.99 [Original price was $139.99] from BestBuy:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Olympus...7929&skuId=2207069&st=Olympus-VG140&cp=1&lp=1

To replace my Nikon CoolPix L11, which is only 6 megapixels instead of the 14 megapixels I am getting.
Another thing is, it comes with a rechargeable battery, not like the Nikon which uses regular AA battery, which is very annoying.
I think $89.99 is pretty good for this camera [After looking at the features and such compared to the CoolPix].

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Generally the idea is to present us a product and ask if it is a good deal or not before making a purchase ;)

It's definitely a nice step up from your old camera and a good one for the price. Be sure, before making any purchase, to check reviews online. More megapixels doesn't necessarily equal a better picture, just bigger. With that said yeah it's a good camera for the price (they've really come down in price lately it seems)

dennis96411

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Megapixels are not an indicator of quality, just the resolution. Both those cameras seem pretty equal spec-wise but if the video quality on the Samsung is better, I'd get that.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Well, I didn't really buy it yet :p
Does megapixel mean the quality, or just the resolution?
But I found another camera, same price, and I looked at the videos on YouTube of both camera's video capture, this one is far better.

Samsung TL105:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung...lver/9765347.p?id=1218169694830&skuId=9765347

Should I get this instead?

Megapixel just refers to the maximum picture resolution and in no way is reflective of the picture quality. It's all dependent on the lense quality and image sensor.

Personally I would go for the Samsung. It's hard to find reviews on low-budget cameras like these though so you're best looking at individual user reviews on merchant sites.

Zx30

Beto
Wow guys, to be honest I'm surprised both of you know what megapixels really are. You won't believe how many times I get told by strangers at work that "megapixels=quality. MUST GET MOARRRR!!!"

OT: As for your question though, Frozen and sphere are right about megapixels, but there's another question you must ask yourself. What kind of photography do you intend to do with your camera? Just an easy no fuss picture taker for family and friends? Or something else specifically? If you say "no fuss picture taker", I'm sure the Samsung will work just fine. Even if you don't like it, there's always the return policy eh?
Let us know how you like your camera once you get it. Oh and post some pictures in the creative forum. It's dead over there haha.

Seth

MD Party Room
Id go with the samsung as well better than the Olympus