• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

just a question as i own the disk but would this be piracy?

bwalker

Say someone had bought software (windows for example) and lost the cd somehow would it be illegal/piracy to use a torrent to download the cd again and use your authentic paid for serial/cd-key. If this breaks rules im sorry i know we dont like piracy i dont either i was just curious if it would be considered that.

Roe

I doubt it seeing as you owned it in the first place. And you have your own serial too so I'd say its good to go.

bwalker

thats what i thought, cause my friend didnt have a disk and i told him to download it since he did actually buy it. He didnt want to cuase he thought it was piracy he wanted me to mail him my disk and hed send it back, not doing that lol im too lazy.

Cheezeball99

But I was committed after that birthday party...
Eh, I see absolutely no problem with doin' that, but then again my views on piracy are very lenient.:smile:

Darkchild

The Doctor
I think this would be legal... Work with me here, if you made a legal backup of your original CD of Windows XP and used the original S/n with the backup copy, there wouldn't be a problem...but...Since you've lost the cd... I don't think that'd be legal but seeing that you have the Serial Number...it'd be the same as if you ruined the original cd and now are using a backup...so I'd say...
....LEGAL

bwalker

lol thanks guys. I bet microsoft would think it was piracy even if i just backed up my disk lol. Heck they would say piracy even if i used the original lol

Darkchild

The Doctor
I'll just tell you this, keep the original yellow sticker with the serial numer or the one on your computer, DON'T REMOVE THEM, it might be your salvation if the police comes xD

bwalker

hahah i have my xp cd and my vista cd i will never loose them. but thats what i told a friend to do and i thought id get opinions on wheter that was piracy or not. The only thing i do thats bad is i have oem so that if i change my hardware im supposed to get a new copy of windows according to the user agreement well that aint happening so i just call them lol

J

Junit

I also did this the windows xp disc from dell didnt work lol , I had to get them to send me another and it didnt work so I got a third one that didn't work , In the end I just torrented it and burned it

Darkchild

The Doctor
I also did this the windows xp disc from dell didnt work lol , I had to get them to send me another and it didnt work so I got a third one that didn't work , In the end I just torrented it and burned it

well... xD Thank god for dell's tech support xD

XTM_Rage

aXr^2 Developer
It doesn't matter which disc you use for installing windows. It's not illegal to use your friend's XP CD and your genuine key. The only time it's actually illegal to use a different disc is if you're using a cracked key. XP

Krelian

Unlimitations.

The truth is when you buy software (at least from Microsoft) you're really only paying for the license, the discs you get are incidental and if you call Microsoft they will often send you replacement discs for just the cost of shipping (at least they did when XP was their newest OS).

XTM_Rage

aXr^2 Developer
The truth is when you buy software (at least from Microsoft) you're really only paying for the license, the discs you get are incidental and if you call Microsoft they will often send you replacement discs for just the cost of shipping (at least they did when XP was their newest OS).

Exactly. XD That's what I meant, but you put it easier to understand terms. XP