• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Mac OS's

Sullivan

I would like to run a Mac OS on my new pc I will be building shortly after christmas. I would love to run Leopard on it, but I know there are a lot of things that are required. I will be running a Intel CPU.

Can anyone direct me in the right direction?

Moose

Meta Moose
No, we can't link you to any of the edited OS X ISO's that are needed to run OS X on a PC because OS X is copyrighted.

If anyone is willing to help Sullivan, make sure any links you supply are clean of the aforementioned ISO file or any other copyrighted material that is illegal to distribute.

EDIT: There are a few modified OS X ISO's out there for download on various torrent sites. Do a quick Google search for "OS X x86 ISO".

RoBz

sucker
Look at the compatibility lists here.

Oh and about that ISO, you won't find it hosted on the osx86 site, you'll have to get it from a torrent, there is one on TPB I know.

eldiablov

Contributor
You know that alot of things are required and yet you are so vague about what components your computer will have?

Sullivan

I asked what is required.

Also, I am not asking for an iso, just maybe a guide of some sort.

Moose

Meta Moose
You know that alot of things are required and yet you are so vague about what components your computer will have?

That's because he doesn't know what is required of his PC will he ever install OS X on it.

Help, don't criticize.

Hellcat

Contributor
Look at current and older specs of real Macs, the closer you get to those, the higher OSX will run on your PC.

In general, having a recent Core2 CPU and a chipset supported by OSX (check above mentioned specs) will make it much more easy and will also enable you to run on "vanilla" (unpatched) kernel instead of having to depend on pre-patched ones.

Furthermore, you might need patched or special (even custommade) kext's (="kernel extensions", the "drivers" of MacOS) for some/most/all of your hardware bits.
Top candidates are gfx card, NIC and sound card.

Again: the closer your stuff is to things used in real Macs, the better - GFX cards (Apple usually puts nVidia cards in, so ATI *WILL* make problems) will ALWAYS require patched drivers, since the BIOS of them is a different one to one of the PC cards.
If having a nVidia card tools like "NVinject" and/or "NVinstall" will most probably make them work (if supported by MacOS).

Hope this helps a bit :)

A couple of macs have got ATI cards, so a few may work. I know mine has :p

A device known as an EFiX dongle should help, it allows you to install OS X vanilla, with no kext patches and the like. As for the appropriate hardware, it is more of a question of what would work, not what specific types are required.

Sullivan

Well I will be running a Intel Quad Core, with a GIGABYTE GV-R467D3-512I Radeon HD 4670 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card, with a Intel mobo.

mohaas05

OSX86 is terrible in my opinion. Since Mac OS is only designed to run on Apple hardware, support for anything else is EXTREMELY scant. On my computer, it didn't even support USB or my sound card.

Hellcat

Contributor
Up to 10.5.5 all runns fine 'xecpt WiFi.
In 10.5.6 the soundcard is broken :(

Mac HW is pretty close to standard PC HW, so if you're close enough to beeing that close it can run pretty well (didn't really use Windows on my Laptop for months now).

But in general I agree to "If you really wanna use MacOS, get a Mac FFS".

* grabs some more money to eventually buy one

ilyace

^^I agree. Although I hate Macs (wayyy overpriced), OSX86 is a pain. It was kinda fun because when I finally got everything working I ended up by learning a few things about the os, and it got me interested into some other things. As for a guide, you can look on the InsanelyMac forums, they've got plenty of those. But it really depends on your specific hardware. You may get errors that nobody else has gotten, or you may get errors that are easily fixable.

Greyone

Funny Little Green Ghouls
^^I agree. Although I hate Macs (wayyy overpriced), OSX86 is a pain. It was kinda fun because when I finally got everything working I ended up by learning a few things about the os, and it got me interested into some other things. As for a guide, you can look on the InsanelyMac forums, they've got plenty of those. But it really depends on your specific hardware. You may get errors that nobody else has gotten, or you may get errors that are easily fixable.

That's probably the biggest problem with osx86. Plus, most people that ask for help on insanelymac, never stick around or post their results.
I almost had my install perfected, but I couldn't get full qe/ci, and I had to manually start some kext's at boot. It probably would have been better if I new how to write scripts.

I may buy a Macbook Pro for college, but I just feel way too ripped off considering you can get a laptop that's way better, for half the cost.