• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Mp3 Shrinker

Noriyuke

I know there was one out and about during the days of conserving space for your PSP, but now im looking for one for my new blackberry, i currently have 1GB and i will soon buy a 4Gb for it, but for now im a little strapped for cash, i was roaming the net a little bit and i found a few of those that charge ya and ya need registration codes and whatnot, im not looking for anything like that, i was hoping someone would know of a freeware possibly open source app that can handle this.

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
what codecs does it support. maybe you can convert to a smaller codec.

Noriyuke

i know for a fact that it supports mid and mp3 anything else is up in the air, but im really just looking for a way to shrink the current mp3's i have ya know? I know it was done a lot for the psp, like from 5MB to 1.93MB i dont remember the app but i used to use something like it all the time.

Seth

MD Party Room
If you make the bitrate 96kbps it shrinks the file size in half..

ChurchedAtheist

try a few bitrates. see what works for you.

Seth

MD Party Room
but they will sound like shit though...
Not really most youtube video is 96kbps and it sound just fine on my ipod touch or my clip...

And it's playing on a dam cellphone sound it not going to good anyway..

Noriyuke

yea I'm not looking to shrink by means of ruining the sound quality, but i remember a lot of people saying that like shrinking it by changing it from stereo to mono and it still retained the same sound quality, at least on the psp.

Anyone know of anything like that for the blackberry? And if so, how about pointing me towards a batch converter that doesnt have a 30 day free trial attatched to it. Because so far, everytime i put in freeware or open source with mp3 shrinker it has yet to come up with good results.

Removing a sound channel can have mixed effects. I would downmix them to mono, but you will have to transcode though.... I've never heard an app that can turn a 5MB Mp3 -> 1.5MB without sound quality loss. Mp3 an old codec, migrate to a more recent codec like OGG or AAC.

How picky are you in terms of sound quality? Some people can handle 96 kbps MP3, and some can not. HE-AAC removes a lot of space by using complex audio techniques (Like Parametric Stereo, a mono sound that gives the illusion of stereo sound) to reduce file size. I know quite a few mobile phones support it, so check it out.

Noriyuke

im going to look up what audio codecs are supported on my Blackberry and ill get back to you on that, and im sure there was quality loss, but on the PSP i can assure you, i felt as tho there was none.

ChurchedAtheist

you probably converted to the AC3(or w/e that sony codec is)

Noriyuke

yo, the shrinking bit was done when 2.0 just came out. i was doing that stuff way back when. But you know what, i remember how they did it, the lowered the Khz to 44 something. I'm not exactly sure.

birdman

the blackberry speaker is shitty enough that you can lower the bit rate quite a bit before the sound quality deteriorates

it should take that apple format for songs too, .aac, mine does at least, cuts the size down alooot