• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Need Help with hdmi/dvi/rca...

Sullivan

Ok, so I have this little recording device:

sku_11267_1.jpg

And I want to record the video on my PS3.
I am currently using a tv that only had DVI input, its high def still. So I have HDMI coming from the PS3 into a tv with DVI.

I am having trouble finding the best way to split the connection, so I can still have the HDMI to DVI connection, and... record on this usb recorded. Any ideas?

My thoughts are, trying to get a female dvi splitter, to female dvi and then put one end into the tv and then get a dvi to rca or composite if I can find one.

Or...

Get a hdmi spliter to, and then get a hdmi to rca.

Any help?

Sinfulfate

Well first composite/rca are analog and HDMI/DVI are digital so your gonna need something that will convert the digital signal to analog. Personally I'm not sure what you want to do is possible since Im not sure if the PS3 can send out a analog and a digital signal at the same time. But if it can your first option will work fine as long as you get a converter box. Buy a DVI splitter and have the PS3 hooked up on one end and the digital-to-analog converter box to the other. Then have the composite on the other end of that hooked up to the video capture device.

Honestly, thats far too much work for video capture imo especially since your only getting a 480i quality recording. You should either upgrade your HDTV(if your tv only has DVI inputs its time for an upgrade) or just hook up your PS3 directly into your pc.

Sullivan

Well if this isn't going to work, then I will just get some rca splitters and s-video splitter, and temporarily hook my ps3 up in crappy video.

Sinfulfate

Well if this isn't going to work, then I will just get some rca splitters and s-video splitter, and temporarily hook my ps3 up in crappy video.

Well the quality would be the same regardless of what method you use. The video capture device determines the quality of the recording and since your capture device only has composite/s video inputs the highest definition you can record in is 480i which also means you have to have your PS3 in 480i in order for the video capture device to pick up the video signal.

Sullivan

Ya, but still, I would rather like to play in high def then component...

Main reason I am asking here.

Sinfulfate

Ya, but still, I would rather like to play in high def then component...

Main reason I am asking here.

You mean composite right? Since component is high def. You can't record in SD and play in HD at the same time, both signals have to be the same. If you wanna be able to play in HD and record while your playing your gonna need a video capture device that can record in HD since both signals have to be the same.

I know what you mean tho, it sucks having to play in SD to record but HD video capture devices are insanely expensive.

Here are some of my gameplay recordings(these were made before youtube went widescreen). The quality is pretty good for a SD capture device. I just wish the the capture device worked in vista 64 bit, having to dig up one of my old laptops just to record is annoying.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

LocutusEstBorg

You cannot split DVI-Digital (HDMI) without an active splitting device. It requires an end to end connection.

You need an expensive HDMI splitter box which outputs Composite+Analog Audio (Since your capture card is Composite+Stereo Analog) as well as HDMI/DVI-D passthrough to your TV.

Or use Composite cables on the PS3 and physically split the wires between the TV and capture card.

Or use Component cables on the PS3 and physically split them between your TV and buy a component capture card.