• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 New PS3 Models Have More Storage Space, No Price Drop for Older Models

David Sanchez

New-PS3.jpg

Sony has rolled out the pricing for its new PlayStation 3 model revision, which apparently doesn't have any specific nickname (aww, man). As reported on Engadget, gamers have access to two different units. The first is the 250GB PlayStation 3, which is priced at $270. The second is a 500GB model that will run you $300.

Continue reading...

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
It's a bit weird they are raising the price of the base model going into the holidays. Unless a price drop is planned during the next few months of course.

By the time Christmas rolls around, stock of the old models will be gone... which means the cheapest PS3 model you'll be able to get is $270. A Wii U will be only $30 more. I dunno, not a smart move by Sony if you ask me. Assuming Nintendo has enough stock to meet demand I can see a lot of people going for the Wii U simply because it's newer.

hush404

When you said "more memory" I assumed RAM... and this isn't the case. I dunno why people put such weight on hdd space.. they're sooo easy to upgrade cheaply. My 750gb set me back like $100 over a year ago.

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
Yeah, you can get a 1TB external USB drive for 100$.

This honestly seems more like an attempt to try and get people to buy a PS3 over a Wii U. Sony:"The consume will be liek," "Why buy a Wii U for 300$ when I can get a PS3 with Uncharted 3? Derp herpy derp herp."

This revision should've had more USB ports, 2 is not enough. It'd be nice to see a card reader again too.

*sigh* if only my MGS4 80GB PS3 hadn't YLOD'd or had shitty USB ports that all but one died off years before it YLOD'd.

Are we even getting a White model here?
It's ridiculous that Sony thinks we are all monocrhomatic morons who only like black..

I would've loved to get some of the colors that were available in places like Asia and Japan.

NooMoahk

Until Sony releases a revision with full backwards compatibility, all new revisions are bullshit. Every other ps3 is inferior to the original 60gb for that reason.

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
I agree. But it won't happen. They won't even give us access to their Software Emulator. They'd rather we pay for the games we already own again and sit around waiting for the title we actually WANT to play to come out on the store. A developer has commented before that all they do is send Sony a disc image and that's pretty much it.

twelve

I'm not dead
My original 60GB died 2 years ago. Repaired YLOD on it 4 times before it completely gave up and refused to turn on anymore. PS2 still works nicely and doesn't look too horrible on an HDTV if using component cables.