• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 No backwards compatibility for PS3 Slim (or the "fat")

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Our friend John Koller had this to say about the BC on the PS3

"Backwards compatibility is off the table," Sony America marketing man John Koller told Kotaku.

People buy PS3s to play PS3 games, he went on to argue. "Now that we're at a point where we're three years into the lifecycle of the PS3, there are so many PS3 disc-based games that are available that we think - and noticed this from our research - that most consumers that are purchasing the PS3 cite PS3 games as a primary [reason].

"And it's not just like 50 or 60 percent. It's well into the 80 or 90 percentile range... Most of those are consumers who have not utilized their PS2 for a little while and they're ready to jump into the PlayStation 3."

Yes Koller, that's why FFVII sold 500k in the first three weeks... [irony] No one cares about BC. [/irony]

Joey

That's not "irony", that's sarcasm.

Also, all PS3's including the slim play PS1 games, this is only in reference to PS2 games, which the PS3 hasn't done for, what... 2 years now?

Where did you get this quote, by the way? Bet you this story was from 2 years ago when they took the emotion engine out of the PS3.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood

Joey

No actually, it was taken a few days ago (according to Eurogamer)

No backwards compatibility for PS3 Slim News // PS3 /// Eurogamer - Games Reviews, News and More

And I used the example of PS1 games as an example that even he says people do not care about BC, PSOne BC is pretty popular and people use it.

My guess is they want to mlik the PS2 as long as possible.

Why is this a surprise though? The PS3 hasn't had PS2 backwards compatibility for literally years, who actually expected the Slim to have it?

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Well it's not a surprise, but some people (me included) had some hope that PS2 BC would finally be included becayse me (and other people) missed the PS2 train and played only a few games on friend's consoles (the only PS2 I ever played through is Persona 4).

I'm just saying it's a damn shame, and Sony could make a lot of money out of PS2 BC if they wanted to.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
Well it's not a surprise, but some people (me included) had some hope that PS2 BC would finally be included becayse me (and other people) [HIGHLIGHT]missed the PS2 train[/HIGHLIGHT] and played only a few games on friend's consoles (the only PS2 I ever played through is Persona 4).

I'm just saying it's a damn shame, and Sony could make a lot of money out of PS2 BC if they wanted to.

The PS2 train is running very cheap these days. It wouldn't be expensive to get a new or used one anywhere.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
The PS2 train is running very cheap these days. It wouldn't be expensive to get a new or used one anywhere.

I don't have that much money at this specific point in time...

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I don't have that much money at this specific point in time...

So you were planning on returning your current PS3 and shelling out money for a Slim if it had it? Or were you hoping firmware 3.0 would add BC back?

Either way, if it is something you want bad enough, save your money for it. You can probably find a used PS2 for the cost of what 5-6 used PS2 games retail for.

I'm sure the PS2 train had at least 10 games you would want to play, and those 10 games cost more than a used system.

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious

If they make a $75 addon piece they could but the reason they took it out was because everyone compained about yhe price. And as we have seen from the 360 including everything seperate to keep the price everyone sees low will fool the consumer into believing that console is cheaper.

I'm glad about these take-aways because it justifies why I bought a Launch system. If you want all the fancy features you have to pay for it, if you cant afford it or know you will never use fancy features wait for a cheaper gimped version. Its as simple as that

Joey

This is just speculation from me, but Sony recently patented PS2 emulation software, so I'd be willing to bet you'll see PS2 games on PSN sometime in the future. This obviously wouldn't require a PS3 with the PS2 hardware, because it would be done through emulation.

But yeah, you can get a PS2 for $100 new, it's not that expensive.

agentnnc

That Guy I Am
Sony has the ability to do it but noooooo! I have to keep my PS2 out so I can play Timesplitters and Vice City.

Dan

Contributor
sony has the ability to do it but noooooo! I have to keep my ps2 out so i can play timesplitters and vice city.

ohemgee. u hav 2 swap da av cables and everyfink! well dats ur gaming experienz ruind.

It doesn't surprise me, it's a slim version, not a remade version.

Riorio99

As much as I would like to have BC, mainly to have my own way of playing PS2 (half of it belongs to my sister), it doesn't really matter. PS2's are insanely cheap and are very resilient consoles.