• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Noob help win?

mysenritsu

Haha most interesting thing happened. I'm not really good with computers, but my uncle called explaining a problem where in his internet browser he couldn't see the entire screen of his email because it was enlarged or something, so I asked him if he accidentally magnified the screen. He said no, just that the window of the browser was small. I had to explain to him how to maximize the window, because he didn't know about it xDD And I thought my mom was bad when I had to explain tabbed browsing to her last week...o.o he was so grateful that he said he was going to send me $25..xD So yeah, thought that might be kind of amusing, considering most of you are all computer geniuses xD

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
It's always nice getting compensation for your work in helping people :) Although it's worse if you go to college and become the "computer guy" on the floor. I really only had that my first year of college though with a lot of people on my floor needing assistance. It sucks being the "computer guy" sometimes so I try to keep it on the down low, I always have, but word gets out quickly.

This reminds me earlier this year when I told my Mom to copy a file over to the flashdrive, she didn't even know how to move files on the computer and she's been using them for years at work and at home...boggles me sometimes but then again they didn't grow up with computers like we have.

Deathrow

This reminds me of teaching my mom how to use t9 and learning how to text.

good time, good times lol

mysenritsu

Well that's not too bad ^^ I've always wished I could be more knowledgeable about computers (and all technology, for that matter) so I wouldn't have to be the one asking for help. It just makes me feel stupid when I have to.

My mom is the same way...although I'm not sure she even comprehends the concept of a flashdrive.. xD Although I really shouldn't talk.. I have yet to even figure out how to set up my 360. *sigh*

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Well that's not too bad ^^ I've always wished I could be more knowledgeable about computers (and all technology, for that matter) so I wouldn't have to be the one asking for help. It just makes me feel stupid when I have to.

My mom is the same way...although I'm not sure she even comprehends the concept of a flashdrive.. xD Although I really shouldn't talk.. I have yet to even figure out how to set up my 360. *sigh*

Well if you need any specific help or have questions don't hesitate to ask, we are here to help and we don't judge...or do we ;)

mysenritsu

Well if you need any specific help or have questions don't hesitate to ask, we are here to help and we don't judge...or do we ;)

Thanks :D Wow, I should have asked the other day when I needed help with something on Word. I was too freaked out though..xD I feel like such a noob :s

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Thanks :D Wow, I should have asked the other day when I needed help with something on Word. I was too freaked out though..xD I feel like such a noob :s

Yeah don't be afraid to ask, we are here to help :) The one thing I can't help you with is Excel, that thing is a nightmare. If you ever find yourself needing to install Office again I would recommend checking out the Office 2010 Beta (you can google it for a download link), maintains the same ribbon interface as 2007 but is much faster and has some nice new features as well.

mysenritsu

Yeah don't be afraid to ask, we are here to help :) The one thing I can't help you with is Excel, that thing is a nightmare. If you ever find yourself needing to install Office again I would recommend checking out the Office 2010 Beta (you can google it for a download link), maintains the same ribbon interface as 2007 but is much faster and has some nice new features as well.

Thanks! :) Hopefully I won't have to ever use Excel xD Thanks for the tip on the new Office! It's been annoying trying to use 07 lately because it needs me to configure it before using it every once in a while, and normally the configuration fails -_- Conveniently it did this when I needed to print exam reviews off one night from my teachers' webs, so I had to install a Word add-on for Word on my laptop that allows me to convert Word documents to pdfs, then email it to myself, and print it out on my desktop, which is having the Office problem. I'll probably install the new beta on my laptop, though. ^^ Thanks again :O

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Thanks! :) Hopefully I won't have to ever use Excel xD Thanks for the tip on the new Office! It's been annoying trying to use 07 lately because it needs me to configure it before using it every once in a while, and normally the configuration fails -_- Conveniently it did this when I needed to print exam reviews off one night from my teachers' webs, so I had to install a Word add-on for Word on my laptop that allows me to convert Word documents to pdfs, then email it to myself, and print it out on my desktop, which is having the Office problem. I'll probably install the new beta on my laptop, though. ^^ Thanks again :O

Office 2010 has built-in PDF save support so you'll be covered there ;)

Sypherin

It's always nice getting compensation for your work in helping people :) Although it's worse if you go to college and become the "computer guy" on the floor. I really only had that my first year of college though with a lot of people on my floor needing assistance. It sucks being the "computer guy" sometimes so I try to keep it on the down low, I always have, but word gets out quickly.

This reminds me earlier this year when I told my Mom to copy a file over to the flashdrive, she didn't even know how to move files on the computer and she's been using them for years at work and at home...boggles me sometimes but then again they didn't grow up with computers like we have.

Yeah it's like that with me, everyone I know thinks of me as the "computer guy" I even got called a human computer the other day haha.

Well thats what I get for having a career in IT. I dont mind it so much I like helping people it makes me feel good, but some of the problems that people have I just tell them to restart the PC if they cant explain it over the phone.