• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Digital Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath PS3 Exclusive For Now, Dev Blames XBLA File Size Limit

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
oddworld.jpg

Developer Just Add Water has went on record to say that an XBLA release of Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath is not on the cards primarily due to file size limitations imposed by Microsoft.
One thing we can discuss in regard to the 360 version is the size of the game. On XBLA there is a 2GigaByte size limit we have to adhere to, currently the title weighs in at 2.1GB and that is without any updates, so either we have to pull a miracle out of the bag with some type of amazing compression system, or ask Microsoft to increase their 2GB limit, however this limit is apparently hardware led, so please let us try and make a miracle happen.
Just Add Water's frustrations are hardly scathing[...]

Continue reading: Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath PS3 Exclusive For Now, Dev Blames XBLA File Size Limit...

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
interesting that it is an hardware limitation, and not a software limitation, also, 2Gigs for a game is pretty big, if their hitting that, then they should just make it into an actual disc game, rather than going for an XBLA game, or maybe think about doing some of the gfx's/effects in code rather than using images

eldiablov

Contributor
interesting that it is an hardware limitation, and not a software limitation, also, 2Gigs for a game is pretty big, if their hitting that, then they should just make it into an actual disc game, rather than going for an XBLA game.

2-3GB (and more in my opinion) for a digital download in this day and age is more than acceptable.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
2-3GB (and more in my opinion) for a digital download in this day and age is more than acceptable.

Agreed. Hell, F.E.A.R. on steam is a hefty 17GB (it includes the two expansions though) so I don't really mind big downloads.

Hardware limitation though? I call BS on that. It's unfathomable for a console to have a 2GB size limit when any Windows 32bit system can handle almost any filesize you throw at it....unless it's working with a FAT filesystem in which case it freaks out if the file's bigger than 4GB

Riorio99

Normally, I'd chuckle and mock the 360's hardware, but I want as many people as possible to play this game, it's so damn awesome.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit

i'm not saying it isn't exceptable, just thinking that so much effort into a game, might be better to distribute it as an disc formatted game, also, if theirs a 2GB limit, why not change it into a digital download, sure their's not a physical version, but it wouldn't have to do any modification to the system.

eldiablov

Contributor
i'm not saying it isn't exceptable, just thinking that so much effort into a game, might be better to distribute it as an disc formatted game

Yes, but it's cheaper to distribute. It allows them to keep costs down.

also, if theirs a 2GB limit, why not change it into a digital download, sure their's not a physical version, but it wouldn't have to do any modification to the system.

I have no idea what you're saying in this part of your post.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
Yes, but it's cheaper to distribute. It allows them to keep costs down.
very true.

I have no idea what you're saying in this part of your post.

i was referring to instead of throwing it up as an XBLA game, to instead put it as an digital download game, which has filesizes of at least 7GB's