• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

piracy question

bwalker

I was reading a thread in here that got me thinking. This is not a question or right or wrong just legality. I know it is illegal to modify the code or files of a program but i know of many cracks that involve registry tweaks that trick the program into making a trial last for like a million days. I think it is still wrong but just curious if it would be illegal since you have not modifies the program at all.

P.S i dont condone this just curious.

Darkchild

The Doctor
It would still be illegal, seeing that you alter the ammount of days the company who made the program autorizes you to use it.

bwalker

really cuase you dont alter the program at all. Doesnt really matter either way but thatnks for input. i always have wierd questions :)

Cheezeball99

But I was committed after that birthday party...
Technically, if all you edited was the registry then it wouldn't be illegal, I don't think, because you weren't technically altering any part of the actual PROGRAM, rather another small file/setting that it monitors. Tweaking the registry is legal, or else it wouldn't be there, ya know? Or else programs like 'Deepfreeze' would be illegal- it's a program my high school used so that when you restart your computer everything would be exactly like it was, meaning if you disabled it and installed it the trial would reset every time you restarted the comp, so they lasted forever. Personally, I don't see a difference between the two. If you trick a program in the registry it's like changing the carburetor in a car and saying it effects the gas tank. I'm just sayin'.

Darkchild

The Doctor
Still illegal, because, if you think about it, the registry keys are "PART" of the program itself, and by altering them...You are altering part of the program (might be altering it's configuration but you would still be defying the rules of use the company gave you)

Cheezeball99

But I was committed after that birthday party...
Would they technically be part of the program, though?:confused1: I mean, they ARE put in when you install the program, but IMO they're more of a small additive of a setting put in a pre-existing file database, that being the Windows Registry.

bwalker

the one program i know of doesnt modify one of the programs registry keys suposedly that could be a lie though. I bought cuase its like 30 bucks for a year and a great antivirus program.