• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 PS2 Emulator for PS3 coming?

KezraPlanes

Just some dood

Dan

Contributor
Interesting. However, it says that they can do it, not they will do it. I'm not getting my hopes up.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
How much you wanna bet the first set of titles [if it meant PS2 games on PSN] is Lara Croft, Call of Duty, Crash Bandicoot and GTA?

Sony, youre so predictable.

Colm

Crash Bandicoot, Sly 3, Jak 3, Call of Duty and Burnout Revenge.
Prove me wrong. Actually don't, I'd like those on my PS3.

Riorio99

If it is coming, it wants to hurry up, before I'm tempted to get my PS2 out of the cupboard. Kingdom Hearts and Bully are dying to be played again.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Unfortunately, I also think it might be a PSN-buy-again thing... Which disappoints me a little... There are too many great/awesome games for the PS2 and if Sony can't even take care of that for the PS1, how come they will with PS2 games?

Chaoskeeper56

Pineapple
wait, i always thought ps3 could play ps2 games, can't they?

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
wait, i always thought ps3 could play ps2 games, can't they?

Only limited models can, and those were "killed" to cut production prices...

E.g. I have a 40GB model (equipped with a 250GB HDD) that can't play PS2

Chaoskeeper56

Pineapple
wow, that's really pathetic. Most of my favorite sony games are for the ps2 :(

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
It's called business... The $500 PS3 models with EE (Emotion Engine - the chip that made hardware PS2 emulation possible) were too expensive so they were "killed", same thing happened with the PS3 models that albeit not having the chip, used software emulation to give the user PS2 emulation.

Backwards compability is what made me never get a 360 after having had the original XBOX. I got the PS3 just for its potential though, I never had any planes of buying one until a friend of mine proposed to sell me his for a bargain price...