• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 PS3 on wireless gets faster download speed than wired???

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
I'm hoping someone can explain this.

Ok , so my router(wired/wireless) sits about 6 feet from my ps3. But when I do a connection test on Wireless My download speed is 8.9Mbps and when on Wired it's only 7.89.

Edit: This is weird I just did a wired test again and it said my Download speed was 16Mbps :argh:

I'm baffled lol

In order to perform a download test, it has to download a sample file from a server. Fluctuataing doiwnload speeds indicate that the server is under different loads, and can only provide you such speeds. Your connection is fine.

Wired/Wireless shouldn't matter that much in terms of bandwidth anyway. It's most likely your internet connection thats the bottleneck, not your LAN.

twelve

I'm not dead
In order to perform a download test, it has to download a sample file from a server. Fluctuataing doiwnload speeds indicate that the server is under different loads, and can only provide you such speeds. Your connection is fine.

Wired/Wireless shouldn't matter that much in terms of bandwidth anyway. It's most likely your internet connection thats the bottleneck, not your LAN.
Depends how far from your router you are. I've got 70% signal strength which should be plenty good enough but my down speed on wireless is generally around 1Mbps. On wired it's always consistently over 4Mbps.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Depends how far from your router you are. I've got 70% signal strength which should be plenty good enough but my down speed on wireless is generally around 1Mbps. On wired it's always consistently over 4Mbps.

Download speeds for wired and wireless are very similar, unless you have played around with your router. Or unless you have a non-b/g card.

ex: I have my router in my bedroom, if I go to my kitchen where I have a very weak signal (30% or less), I still download at max speed.

twelve

I'm not dead
Download speeds for wired and wireless are very similar, unless you have played around with your router. Or unless you have a non-b/g card.

ex: I have my router in my bedroom, if I go to my kitchen where I have a very weak signal (30% or less), I still download at max speed.
There are so many variables that you cannot make a generalised statement about download speeds.

I've managed and maintained numerous networks at work, home and for friends and can say that there is no clear pattern with speeds. The only thing that is definite is LAN or VPN transfers are a hell of a lot slower on wireless.