• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

psp gu clipping issues

Gadersd

Hi. I have been having some clipping issues. Whenever the player goes on or gets close to the floor, the floor disappears. How can I fix this?

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
Hi. I have been having some clipping issues. Whenever the player goes on or gets close to the floor, the floor disappears. How can I fix this?
subdivide the floor more, the psp's clipping is pretty cruddy, if all the points are outside the view frustrum, the psp clips it, even if the triangle would pass through the screen.

Gadersd

Is there another way to do it? Do most people do it that way? I do not really want to use more triangles in my floor becuase that would lower the fps.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
Is there another way to do it? Do most people do it that way? I do not really want to use more triangles in my floor becuase that would lower the fps.
yes, this is the norm unfortunately, but don't be too worried, the psp itself is quite the powerhouse device, it can take quite a few more polygons, you'd be better off building a bsp tree for removing unseen models/rooms, then to worry about adding a few more polygons to your floor. the developers of god of war had a good article about what they did for walls/cliffs/models, in which they found it better performance wise to add more polygons then to try and write a software clipper.

I'll try to find the article, but it's been years since i read it, so no gurantees i can locate it.

Gadersd

I don't really know how much smaller I need to make my triangles. I heard that increasing the near value of sceGuPerspective helps. The problem with increasing that value is that when the player looks down in my game there is a black space in front of the player. Because of this I set the value to 0.1 and that fixed the black space problem, but it made the clipping problem even worse so now my psp clips triangles that are only 1.0 in length.