• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

[RELEASE] Game Categories Revised

Bubbletune

[RELEASE] Game Categories Revised v2

Readme said:
----------------------------
Game Categories Revised v3
by Bubbletune

(Version three: another quick bugfix)

Apologies for the amount of bugfixes, worst of all is that most of these bugs don't even occur on my own PSP, so it's hard to spot and fix them.

- Fixed bug of the same MS icon randomly showing up multiple times.

If you find any more bugs, please don't hesitate to report them.
I guess this has kind of turned in to a BETA by now, a final version will be released soon, with new features and improvements. :)

(Version two: quick bugfix release)

- Fixed bug of PSX games not launching when they're categorized.
- Fixed some odd bug which made categories show up twice, and some other weird stuff. (I had already fixed this in a late build of v1, but most news sites published the initial build, which still had this bug)
- It will no longer show the 'Uncategorized' icon if you don't have any uncategorized games (in multi-ms mode).

(Introduction)

As nobody seems to read this whole thing (you really should), I just need to get this out there as simply to many people are posting they are having corrupt icons:
"Something to keep in mind are length limits. Category names have a limit of 18 characters (excluding the CAT_ prefix), and the full path to the file can't exceed a certainth number of characters due to Sony limits. If corrupt icons start to show up, you might want to try renaming the filenames to shorter names."

This is the fourth revision of my game category plugin, which I've chosen to rename as it has been fully rewritten.
For those who have used previous versions, a list of differences is below:

- Removed vshmenu option, it was slightly buggy and I've now provided two alternatives.
- Added Multi-MS mode, see section below for more information.
- Added pre-game-menu mode, see section below for more information.
- Reloading of the game modules will now be done via a patch as opposed to faking a memory stick ejection.
- Added keycombo to switch between the two modes (L + R + Home).
- Added configuration file to remember your latest category chosen and your current mode.
- Did some bugfixing on the patches, should have solved removal bug, random corruption, and probably some other things.
(if you are still experiencing any problems with this, don't hesitate to report them and I'll see what I can do)

This can be installed like any other plugin, simply copy the seplugins folder to the root of your memory stick and it should be ready to use.
If you've already got a vsh.txt, edit it instead of copying the included one.

(Requirements)

This will work on any PSP with 5.00 M33 or 5.02 GEN. On GEN you need to disable the built-in version via Configuration in the recovery menu. Incase your PSP refuses to boot after a firmware update, it may be caused by the hardcoded patches done by this plugin. In this case, disable it in the recovery and wait for an update of the plugin.

(Making categories)

Create folders prefixed with 'CAT_' in your GAME, GAME150, GAME5XX or ISO folder and fill them with anything you'd like to have appear for that specific category.
If you have the same category name in multiple folders, they'll be merged together. Something to keep in mind are length limits. Category names have a limit of 18 characters (excluding the CAT_ prefix), and the full path to the file can't exceed a certainth number of characters due to Sony limits. If corrupt icons start to show up, you might want to try renaming the folders to shorter names.

(Multi-MS Mode)

This will make a seperate memory stick icon pop up for each category you have, and choosing one will enter the approriate category. Next to all your own categories, an 'Uncategorized' option will be added in case you happen to have any seperate folders floating around in your GAME folder.

screen1.png

(Pre-Game-Menu Mode)

A small vshmenu-style menu will pop up every time you enter the Game menu, this will default to your latest selection (it will be remembered in the configuration file), and after selecting your category, it'll enter the menu. Next to all your own categories, a 'Show all' and 'Uncategorized' option are available.

screen2.png

(Switching between modes)

This can be done by pressing L + R + Home within the VSH, and will be written to the configuration file. Both options have been explained above.

(Configuration file)

This plugin creates a configuration file at ms0:/PSP/GAME/category.bin, which should remain untouched (it only uses 4 bytes).

(Thanks to)

Thanks to Davee for all his support, help and hosting.
Thanks to Granite for all his support and betatesting.
Thanks to eldiablov for all his support and betatesting.
Thanks to SchmilK for betatesting the pops fix.
Thanks to Moose for all his support.
And thanks to everyone I forgot. :)

(Website)

http://bubbletune.x-fusion.co.uk

Enjoy the plugin,
Bubbletune :)

Before you post about any issues you're having, make sure you read over the complete readme carefully.
Download here.

eldiablov

Contributor
Absolutely epic work. Great job Bubbletune. Was an honour to beta test xD

This is staying on my memory stick permanently.

NeilR

eXo Admin
Enforcer Team
This update rocks Bubbletune. I'm sure everyone is going to find the multi icon solution to be one of the best things to happen for homebrew users in a long while. :tup:

Nero

Mmmm...cookies
I shouldn't have joined the websites together, it's a bit hard to see who gets the credit right now. :p I don't mind much though, as long as it's Davee and not some fool. :)

Oops sorry. I didn't know this plugin was only made by you :p

Thanks again though :D

PsypheR

Very well thought out and executed. Awesome release!

Anyone with me in saying that this should be included in custom firmwares in the future? :) This is a milestone of an achievement as far as functionality in the XMB goes.

LocutusEstBorg

Really awesome plugin and ingenious idea. However I've encountered some problems.

It isn't compatible with Lockdown XMB Style Beta-3, when you Disable XMB Plugins in the recovery menu advanced config (they are loaded manually by Lockdown after correct password for enhanced security).

I assume you must be using the StartModuleHandler of M33 to hook some things in the VSH. It would probably be compatible if you did a FindModule until you found them instead, since by the time Lockdown loads the plugins the other modules have already started, all except vshmain.prx.

Secondly, putting the GAME folder stuff in further CAT_ subfolders breaks some homebrew and some official game updates (you are forced to leave such things uncategorized). Also apps made with DAX's VLF lib are broken because the path to its folder needs to be hardcoded.

It would probably be better if you left all the folders in the same place and instead had an INI file with the folders for each category.
[Games]
ms0:/ISO/blabla.iso

[Homebrew]
ms0:/PSP/GAME/Filer

Theres an ini parser lib thats easy to use, you can Google it in a second.

Bubbletune

It isn't compatible with Lockdown XMB Style Beta-3, when you Disable XMB Plugins in the recovery menu advanced config (they are loaded manually by Lockdown after correct password for enhanced security).

I assume you must be using the StartModuleHandler of M33 to hook some things in the VSH. It would probably be compatible if you did a FindModule until you found them instead, since by the time Lockdown loads the plugins the other modules have already started, all except vshmain.prx.

I'll fix it in the next update today. ;)

Secondly, putting the GAME folder stuff in further CAT_ subfolders breaks some homebrew and some official game updates (you are forced to leave such things uncategorized). Also apps made with DAX's VLF lib are broken because the path to its folder needs to be hardcoded.

It would probably be better if you left all the folders in the same place and instead had an INI file with the folders for each category.
[Games]
ms0:/ISO/blabla.iso

[Homebrew]
ms0:/PSP/GAME/Filer

Theres an ini parser lib thats easy to use, you can Google it in a second.

One of my goals was to allow drag-and-drop categorizing, but I guess you've got a point. I'll try to implement a loader via sctrlHENLoadModuleOnReboot, which will mount the category as the GAME folder all the way along, it should solve some stuff. :)

LocutusEstBorg

I'll try to implement a loader via sctrlHENLoadModuleOnReboot, which will mount the category as the GAME folder all the way along, it should solve some stuff. :)

It would need to handle the kernels function as well, or it will still probably break kernel PRXs started from VLF apps with hardcoded paths (cos I assume that even other PRXs launched from the main VLF app will inherit the broken working dir). I feel its better to avoid the mess altogether and not have a GAME mode component running at all.

Bubbletune

It would need to handle the kernels function as well, or it will still probably break kernel PRXs started from VLF apps with hardcoded paths (cos I assume that even other PRXs launched from the main VLF app will inherit the broken working dir). I feel its better to avoid the mess altogether and not have a GAME mode component running at all.

I'll look in to this later, I'll probably allow a mixture of INI file and drag-and-drop. But right now I'll simply release a v2 with some bugfixes done to things people reported. Thanks for the suggestions though. ;)

rafal180

Thx for the plugin but games from psx not working and hamebrew in folder game150 too. The first(psx games) have error "this game could not be started (80010016) and second(hamebrew in 150) have corupted icon. In folder game150 if you set kernel 5.xx the folder CAT_ characters must be 4 or less. If not there will be corupted icon.
The "ini" idea is very good and should resolve all problems(hardcoded path and homebrew/app on kernel 1.50)

I now that i use bad Language but i had hope that you Bubbletune understood me.
THX again for the plugin, very good job.