• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PC Retail Copies of Battlefield 3 PC Will Require Origin

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
bf3tango.jpg

EA is taking the bullish approach when it comes to pushing its digital distribution storefront Origin. It's been confirmed that all copies of Battlefield 3, whether digital or retail, will require an Origin installation to play.

DICE community manager Daniel Matros confirmed the news on Twitter earlier today.

The requirement of having to install Origin, we'd assume, puts the fate on Battlefield 3 on Steam in jeopardy - unless EA or Valve make a special exception[...]

Continue reading: Retail Copies of Battlefield 3 PC Will Require Origin...

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Well there goes my PC purchase. I was planning on purchasing it both for PC and Xbox 360 (with friends) but looks like I'll go solely to Xbox 360. Really hate it when companies push a service on you. Microsoft did it with Live on the PC and it didn't work out so well for them or for the consumers.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
Who cares if you have to install their program? What difference does it make to how the game will be played or the possible reason you are playing it?

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Who cares if you have to install their program? What difference does it make to how the game will be played or the possible reason you are playing it?

I hate having to install a separate program on top of a game in order to play it. There refusal to allow distribution through Steam and solely limit it to Origin is enough for me to not purchase it. I'll be buying the console one already, only was going to buy the PC if I could use it with Steam since it's a great distribution platform with a huge userbase (makes finding friends, adding them, and managing games easier).

I might still purchase it in the long run but not right away