• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Skype 'technically possible' on DSi

The Teej

Also know as The Tjalian
Skype 'technically possible' on DSi

TechRadar sent an inquiry to Skype about the possibility of its VOIP telephone service appearing on the Nintendo DSi. While we'd love to tell you that the Skype rep responded with a concrete "yes," we can at least say that the representative didn't totally shut TechRadar down. In fact, the wording of the boilerplate response suggested that there's no reason the service wouldn't spread to the DS platform.

According to the representative, Skype's growth strategy "includes extending the Skype infrastructure and platform to bring Skype functionality wherever, whenever, and on whatever device or site people choose to use it." Currently, that includes computers, some smartphones, and, of course, the PSP. As for the DSi, "Whilst we can't comment on any future plans to bring Skype to Nintendo's DSi, it would technically be possible."

Of course, DS homebrew enthusiasts have known for a couple of years that it's possible. But the DSi Shop makes it seem more likely to happen in an official capacity.

Source: Joystiq

I'd personally love for this to happen. However, would Nintendo allow it? I can imagine this goes against their desire to keep everyone anonymous while gaming/browsing online on their products.

However, if it does happen, I'd definitely pick it up.

Prepare "So a DS and a PSP started talking to each other" jokes stat.

The Teej

Also know as The Tjalian
Nintendo would never go for it. Maybe a homebrew VOIP program would be cool.

Plus, skype with a .3mp camera?

Yeah, it may be a little lame if you're contacting someone over the DS to the PC, but I mean, the DSi's screens are only 256x192, so a 640x480 resolution video is more then enough for DS. 640x480 for video conferencing really isn't that bad.

Bronze95

TbH That sounds awsome i would really like for that to happeb, but as you said i doubt nintendo would want this, and the ds isnt the most powerful games console ever, would it be able to handle it. Don`t get me wrong its a awsome handheld, as a matter of fact im posting this message on my ds. I just cant see it happening.

Maattt

the XMB has to be unloaded from memory just to run it on a PSP slim :p
so im pretty sure Skype won't happen on a DSi as i think it only has 16mb ram..? :p