• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PSN Sony Rebuilding PSN, Still No ETA On When Service Will Resume

Bran

Yell
So many people have come out of the woodwork for this one, jesus....

All I can hope for out of this down time is that trophies take less time to update. That would totally be worth it.

El Diablo

Yeah what's up with all the new people :O.

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
They aren't the only people allowed to be upset but the "features" being "removed" in the 2 situations is completely different. One is a complete removal of a feature from a console you own and paid for, while the other is a temporary take down of an online service for maintenance and repairs that your PS3 allows you to access.

I understand where your coming from, I really do, but I don't see how you can't seem to realize the difference between the two situations.

Also, I'm not attacking anyone for being mad about it. I understand where they are coming from and why they are upset, but it's a free online service and you have to realize that shit happens and it will be back.

As for the PS+ comment, people are complaining about losing time on their PS+ because PSN is going down for a week~. My point is that they decided to pay that money for additional features to the online service. The service itself is free, there is no required fee to it, people choose to pay if they want to. If something like xbox live or an MMO goes down for a week, that IS a big deal because you are consistently paying monthly, and forced to pay that monthly fee to access it. PS+ is an optional addition you can get if you want.

And you are right, you truly are. No one forced me or anyone to buy a PS3, however when we did buy it, we bought it under the information that it would have an otherOS feature on the console for us to use our PS3s as a computer and run other operating systems on. It was an advertised feature we paid for with the product that was permanently removed without any further access to it. When you buy a ps3, you buy it with the advertisement that it is able to connect to the PSN, which it can. It still can, it has since it came out, and you always will be able to. A temporary down time of an online service you will still be able to access != indefinite removal of a feature of the console you paid for.

Online service = Sonys property. Console you paid for = your property.

Fair enough. You're right, regardless of whether I used Other OS it should not have been removed. And I do see the difference between a permanent removal and a temporary one, but this whole situation isn't taking a stand, it's proving Sony right.

Sigh. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm starting to miss video game consoles.

ultimakillz

Teh Fett Mawn
ign brought up a good point in this article: how are the game developers, especially devs of download only games like minis, being affected by the psn being down? they are losing money every minute the psn is down. i also think they bring up a good solution: why not give all of us a free ps mini download on sony's tab once the psn is back online.

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
Does Sony owe you anything? No. Do I expect Sony to give something? Hell Yes. Not only will it be good PR, but also a way to recuperate some of the lose from the downtime if they do it right.

For example, give a free month of PSN+ to everyone for the month of May, plus include a game for PSN+ members. This way, once you're hooked on the game (and other PSN+ features), in order to keep the 'free' game you must get a subscription for PSN+, which will get Sony thousands more PSN+ subscribers than before the outage and finally some good PR (for once).

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Does Sony owe you anything? No. Do I expect Sony to give something? Hell Yes. Not only will it be good PR, but also a way to recuperate some of the lose from the downtime if they do it right.

For example, give a free month of PSN+ to everyone for the month of May, plus include a game for PSN+ members. This way, once you're hooked on the game (and other PSN+ features), in order to keep the 'free' game you must get a subscription for PSN+, which will get Sony thousands more PSN+ subscribers than before the outage and finally some good PR (for once).

That sounds llike a sound plan but I have my doubts it will happen, seeing PR isn't Sony's strongest point (look at the PR backlash because of this). Well one can only hope :p

Offtopic:

People are registering just to comment on one or two pieces of news? Wth xD

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
"Chesh says ‘no one’s personal information was accessible via this hack’ which seems logical – all our credit card details are on the public PSN, not the dev network. Chesh also posted the following,"

That should put people's mind at ease. Thanks Dan :p

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
"Chesh says ‘no one’s personal information was accessible via this hack’ which seems logical – all our credit card details are on the public PSN, not the dev network. Chesh also posted the following,"

That should put people's mind at ease. Thanks Dan :p

That's just a rumor and not factual. It's one person's opinion as to why the network is down. It could just be a coincidence although we have discussed this possibility already in the other thread: http://forums.exophase.com/showthread.php?t=23132