• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PSN Sony Responds To U.S. Congress Over PSN Breach, Finds 'Anonymous' Tagline On Servers

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
psnetwork.jpg

Sony Computer Entertainment chief Kaz Hirai has issued a lengthy 8-page response to concerns raised by the U.S. Congress earlier last week over the recent PSN security breach, which has left a total of 101 million accounts compromised. In the letter, Hirai sheds light on particulars of Sony's findings, including a file planted by the attackers that read 'We are Legion,' an Anonymous tagline.

"We discovered that the intruders had planted a file on one of our Sony Online Entertainment servers named "Anonymous" with the words "We are Legion," noted Hirai.

Hirai also stressed that the attack on Sony Online Entertainment's operation was not a second intrusion, it occured around the same time as the PSN breach[...]

Continue reading: Sony Responds To U.S. Congress Over PSN Breach, Finds 'Anonymous' Tagline On Servers...

ultimakillz

Teh Fett Mawn
maybe the real hackers are just trying to point sony at anonymous. tbh once they said they would stop attacks i believed they would, especially since they said it only affected users more than sony, and keeping the psn down for weeks and stealing tons of personal info definitely affects users more than sony imo. but idk..... :(

it will be interesting to see how anon responds to this (if they do).

Richlando

Anon had nothing to do with this, Sony is scapegoating for sympathy imo.The person(s)they need to be looking for is looking back at them in the mirror. Old Apache/Linux servers and well known holes in the network that, in their arrogance, they scoffed at when told of these holes weeks if not months in advance. Consumers are paying the price for this arrogance now and they are the victims in this no matter how hard Sony tries to make themselves out to be the victims. Hire real security engineers...

El Diablo

Didn't Sony say Anon was nothing more than a minor anonyance at best?

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Actually this:

"We are Legion"

fits Anonymous like a glove.

Also they could be behind this since they have no loyalty, not even to their own group. They are rebels without a cause, causing ruckus just to get their name out there *insert e-peen joke here*.

And even if Sony has screwed up though and they just made me switch to Nintendo next-gen, I do feel sympathy for them. They tried to defend their console from piracy and got a hacker Jihad for it.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Actually this:

fits Anonymous like a glove.

Also they could be behind this since they have no loyalty, not even to their own group. They are rebels without a cause, causing ruckus just to get their name out there *insert e-peen joke here*.

And even if Sony has screwed up though and they just made me switch to Nintendo next-gen, I do feel sympathy for them. They tried to defend their console from piracy and got a hacker Jihad for it.

Their tagline is public knowledge...anyone could have used it just to misdirect the attention of Sony to Anonymous. It would be extremely easy for a third party to put blame on Anonymous who had recently attacked the servers although another individual or group could have carried out the attacks thinking they were a part of the "group".

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
isn't the idea of Anon, is that anyone can be apart of the group, their's no official, or even, unofficial member list really, and anyone can call themselve's apart of the group, i highly doubt this hack is the work of the same Anon as before.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
isn't the idea of Anon, is that anyone can be apart of the group, their's no official, or even, unofficial member list really, and anyone can call themselve's apart of the group, i highly doubt this hack is the work of the same Anon as before.

Yes and no. Any attack on a major corporation or group is usually designated as an official Anon operation, however this most recent attack has not been. Not everyone can go around conducting random attacks and claim to be a part of the group. The group still has some sort of hierarchical structure from my understanding and one user's action as part of the group are not representative of the group itself.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
The group still has some sort of hierarchical structure from my understanding and one user's action as part of the group are not representative of the group itself.

However that goes against their "raison d'

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
well there is no real way for us to know at this point. AND if it turned out they were just using anon as a scapegoat for their arrogance and incompetence. It would not surprise me at all.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
well there is no real way for us to know at this point. AND if it turned out they were just using anon as a scapegoat for their arrogance and incompetence. It would not surprise me at all.

The use of anonymous is anything but arrogance and incompetence, it's a smart move on the hackers part to misdirect the investigation if that is indeed what they did.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
The use of anonymous is anything but arrogance and incompetence, it's a smart move on the hackers part to misdirect the investigation if that is indeed what they did.

i believe trigun was referring to the possibility that sony is lieing about having "discovered" the file.

eldiablov

Contributor

Well it wouldn't be smart at all, it makes no actual difference considering anonymous is comprised of ... anyone.

ultimakillz

Teh Fett Mawn
well, pointing the finger is always a good way to give yourself a head start, especially pointing it at a group who specializes in this type of attack. true, while anon isnt really anyone specific, it still give the authorities something to go after rather than following the real hackers. while they're wasting their time trying to find personal information on anon, the real hackers are going to be long gone.

~edit~
we called it:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/116/1166221p1.html