• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Strange 360 Problem

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
My 360 has done something very odd twice. It is connected to my TV via a HDMI cable.
Twice now, I have been playing a game fine (for some reason I've only seen this occur while playing Halo, but I don't know if it's specific to it or not) and the screen has flashed red very quickly, then gone black (the TV receives no input) until after about 10 seconds it kicks back in. The 360 is still on, I can hear people talking on the headset, etc, but there's just a red flash and no input for a bit.
It's very strange...

EDIT: Just happened on COD4 twice in about half a minute.
EDIT2: It was just doing it every 5 seconds on COD4 and made it virtually unplayable. There was also red lines along the screen for like a second, but most of the time it flashes red then goes black for a while...

twelve

I'm not dead
Could be a number of things:

1. The 360 HDMI port
2. The 360 graphics processor
3. The 360 ANA upscaler (most likely)
4. The TV HDMI port
5. The TV overall
6. The HDMI cable

Obviously the HDMI cable is the easiest and cheapest to replace. So try that if you have a spare one.

The others are harder to determine.

Try another TV with an HDMI port (friends house if you haven't got another one at home). If you still get the problem then it's definitely something in the 360 and not your TV.

Try using the Component cable instead of HDMI. If it still happens then it's not the HDMI port so is either the ANA upscaler or GPU.

Try using the composite cables to play in SD. If you still get the problem then it's almost definitely the ANA upscaler (which usually will result in a RROD or at least a E74 error code).

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
Just Googled and found many people have had the same problem as me - strange colour distortion then black screen. It is a hardware failure, definitely not my TV. FUCK. Warranty expired on Christmas day. Some people say resetting to factory settings (turning on for 15 seconds, turning off, then turning on while holding RT+Y) can fix this (no video but yes sound). Other people have said they toweled their 360s to try to make it red ring to get the extended warranty to work, but ended up fixing it...

What do I do?

Moose

Meta Moose
I'd RRoD it and send it in to get it fixed or for a replacement console. I doubt any of the fixes you stated are long term so you may as well RRoD it now and send it in.

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
OK... would I have to restore it to original firmware? I'm on iXtreme 1.41

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
OK, it just RRODed...
Do I need to flash it back to original firmware if I want to send it in?
Can you even flash a 360 with RROD?
The warranty sticker is still on it.

Moose

Meta Moose
I'm guessing you can seeing as it's the drive you flash, not the piece of hardware that causes the RRoD. As long as there is power being supplied to the drive so you can turn it on that is.

eldiablov

Contributor
Theres a good chance MS wont detect its a flashed drive. But they could send your 360 back banned if they do.

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
They never send back the same 360. They just give you a new one with the same hard drive...

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
Oh fair enough...
Most of the people who sent in modded 360s got new ones, though some didn't.

ayrek

I'd read they stopped the console rotation, because too many people were getting back pre-killed boxes. Thats why when it rings, it takes a ridiculous amount of time to get it (2-3 weeks is average, I've seen much higher figures, as much as 9 weeks even.)

Blackout

I'd read they stopped the console rotation, because too many people were getting back pre-killed boxes. Thats why when it rings, it takes a ridiculous amount of time to get it (2-3 weeks is average, I've seen much higher figures, as much as 9 weeks even.)

That's insane. I like how people RRoD their 360 as well to get the extended warranty. Good shit. :tup: