• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Things that war books cannot really display?

ilyace

I've got an essay to write, mainly on WWI. I need a few examples of things that a war books cannot really depict/describe about actual war. So far I've got emotions/feelings of soldiers, and the horrors of war. Anything else that you guys can come up with?

Cryox

Bro.
I've got an essay to write, mainly on WWI. I need a few examples of things that a war books cannot really depict/describe about actual war. So far I've got emotions/feelings of soldiers, and the horrors of war. Anything else that you guys can come up with?

How about knowing that you may not wake up in the morning? or the pain of a bullet/shrapnel wound?

idk, those good or not?

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I've got an essay to write, mainly on WWI. I need a few examples of things that a war books cannot really depict/describe about actual war. [HIGHLIGHT]So far I've got emotions/feelings of soldiers, and the horrors of war.[/HIGHLIGHT] Anything else that you guys can come up with?

Why can't a book depict that?

ilyace

Why can't a book depict that?

I'm not saying that books can't be super descriptive and really make an excellent visualization for the reader, but I don't think that a book can put you in the position of a soldier in a conflict such as WWI. Maybe I just chose the wrong words to explain my idea?

chrono6456

That seems like a really hard topic, because All Quiet on the Western Front really describes war quite vividly.

I would say books only give you a description of war, and can't really tell you how it would be to live day by day, for years on end, with your life on the line everyday. It can describe that, but it can't make you understand it...sort of.

ilyace

That seems like a really hard topic, because All Quiet on the Western Front really describes war quite vividly.

I would say books only give you a description of war, and can't really tell you how it would be to live day by day, for years on end, with your life on the line everyday. It can describe that, but it can't make you understand it...sort of.

LOL how did you know I was talking about All Quiet on the Western Front? Thanks for the help :)

Scorned

But thats basically what books are...

They describe the experience, although they cant give you the full experience obviously, due to limitations in sound, visual, and physical interaction. Otherwise they perfectly, if written correctly, portray the event/setting/et cetera, they wish to portray.

All you could say, that i can think of, is that they cant deafen your ears with real shots, allow you actually see murdered people, and give you the full mental/physical effects.

Sullivan

I could only suggest going into detail with the horror and pain, as a long with the post traumatic issues. Books can only describe how soldiers said they felt and what they went through, but CANNOT show or explain the post stress and conflicts.

Sort of offtopic, but has to deal with WWII, my great great grandfather was a US Spy, I forgot where he was caught, but he had his name engraved on his right cheek with his knife, and had bamboo splinters nailed between the nail and his finger.

Slasher

Suck It
I could only suggest going into detail with the horror and pain, as a long with the post traumatic issues. Books can only describe how soldiers said they felt and what they went through, but CANNOT show or explain the post stress and conflicts.

Why couldn't they explain post stress conflicts?

Books can describe anything if the author chooses to. They can do so poorly and not get the reader enticed, but authors can also do it amazingly and really suck the reader into it and make it feel like he/she is experiencing what's going on.

Frenchy, if you have a choice in your thesis for your essay, then I would probably suggest making a new one? But if it's geared just towards that one particular book that you mentioned, then I can understand.

Kyle0wnsyou

Lavate las manooos!!
While I've never experienced full-on combat, I lived in Baghdad's Green Zone for three months, Nov-Dec-Jan 2008. My dad builds new internet protocols for the US Department of Justice (it's okay, none of this is confidential) and he brought me along as a consultant.

One thing war books monopolize on is the sensationalism of combat. What these books fail to include it the rapid deterioration of the repective contries' socio-economic structure. Watching petrol being sold buy the gallon for outrageous prices, rotting meat being eaten because there's no other choice. Books cannot successfully capture the changing Zeitgeist of a people.

War books never weigh out each side, either. Usually the victor in war is the one who writes the history, anyways.

Slasher

Suck It
I've read plenty of books that include that aspect of war as well. While it's impossible to truly feel the "changing Zeitgeist of people" considering how we live currently, it's still not impossible to describe or at least come close to describing how it is.

eldiablov

Contributor
Yeah, i'm not too sure if there's truly anything a book can't describe and make you feel apart from the feeling of loss if a close relative has died.

Chathurga

The only thing I think books can't accurately describe is scale.
War is so busy that something really gets lost if you don't have a visual reference.

Moose

Meta Moose
Camaraderie? It can be explained and described, but you'd have to be there to really understand how each soldier felt about their comrades.