• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 Thinking on Buying a PS3, any Suggestions?

Musashi

Hi,

Over the past few months I have been thinking on buying a PS3. I own a PSP and I know the million things that you can do with it. I'm Wondering what model of PS3 should I buy that in a far future (for what I read on the forums around, no "cool stuff" will be available in a near future) will be the most likely to run home-brew and other open source apps later on.

The Sony PS3 PlayStation 3 80GBs - Backwards Compatible Limited Edition ---> this seems like the coolest.

But I really don't know! so please give me your words of wisdom.

Thanks
Musashi

Alex

Hi,

Over the past few months I have been thinking on buying a PS3. I own a PSP and I know the million things that you can do with it. I'm Wondering what model of PS3 should I buy that in a far future (for what I read on the forums around, no "cool stuff" will be available in a near future) will be the most likely to run home-brew and other open source apps later on.

The Sony PS3 PlayStation 3 80GBs - Backwards Compatible Limited Edition ---> this seems like the coolest.

But I really don't know! so please give me your words of wisdom.

Thanks
Musashi

Well the onlything you can do, is the PS3 60GB with ps2 and ps1 compatibility and the card readers.

Other then that, the slims and phats are the same since 3.30 firmware

january39

eXo Staff
I have a 120gb Slim, but it is missing the card readers, touch buttons (not a biggie) and the nice glossy finish.

I suspect build quality will not be as good as well hence the cheaper price, i read somewhere that sony made hardly any money per unit on the 'Phat' PS3 and are only just making profit per unit on the slim.

I would still have the slim though - Since you lose no software features.

Alex

I have a 120gb Slim, but it is missing the card readers, touch buttons (not a biggie) and the nice glossy finish.

I suspect build quality will not be as good as well hence the cheaper price, i read somewhere that sony made hardly any money per unit on the 'Phat' PS3 and are only just making profit per unit on the slim.

I would still have the slim though - Since you lose no software features.

but you can pick up a second hand fat for the same price and you get the same features if you look hard enough

and you're right, they were at loss producing the phats