• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PSP UMD's or Digital? Pros and Cons

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Okay so I made this thread so everyone can speak their minds on the UMD vs. Digital thing.

I'm starting off with something I said on another thread about the PSP Go!/3k issue:

As far as it's known the 3k and the PSP Go! will be sold side by side, and UMD games ARE going to keep coming out anyways, even if you'll have the choice of a digital release... But that's where your argument fails, if the content is going digital you don't need to buy the UMD's since you can get the games on the PSN anyways, so you still won't have to carry UMD's around.

shikamaru

Senior Member ~ Trolololo
The UMD vs Digital argumenet is pretty much sorted

The better argument would be that 3k owners ae the only ones who HAVE to pay (no choice) for their games out of the 1k/2k/3k owners. The UMD argument is no more, thanx to digi downloads but who can dl 200MB-1.8GB from their PSP? No one has the time, they don't want to wait so long after ther purchse to play and that's why UMD's will still exist and it may turn to flash ROMS in the future but there will always be a physical copy available

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
It depends on the internet you have really... Nowadays a high percentage of the population has high-speed internet, so downloading isn't that boring or time consuming... I guess it really depends on whether or not you are a physical owner freak that like to have everything on their hand...

Vee

It would increase battery life, but then again Sony would have to have superfast servers and you would need to have half decent internet to be able to download a game directly to your PSP, in a reasonable time.

Adiuvo

Even with a crappy connection (like DSL) a PSP game isn't going to take that long to download. Maybe 10 hours at max. Anyone can wait 10 hours.

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
I don't mind downloading games. What I don't like is the fact that I wont be able to resell those games I bought, I wont be able to buy used anymore, and everything will be the Sony price with hardly any sales.

That's why I'm against digital distribution

Edit: That's the last time I try to edit my post with my phone on shady internet

Moose

Meta Moose
I dont mind downloading games. What I dont like is the fact that I wont be able to resell those games I bought, I wont be able to buy used anymore, and everything will be the Sony price with hardly any sales.

Thats why I'm against digital distribution

---------- Post added at 11:54 AM EST ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 AM EST ----------

I dont mind downloading games. What I dont like is the fact that I wont be able to resell those games I bought, I wont be able to buy used anymore, and everything will be the Sony price with hardly any sales.

Thats why I'm against digital distribution

I've never thought about that. Usually if I buy a game I will go for the cheaper pre-owned option, which I hadn't realised won't exist if Sony goes digital.

You make a good point, however I imagine if Sony go digital they may be able to reduce the costs of games so you might already be saving money.

It depends on the internet you have really... Nowadays a high percentage of the population has high-speed internet, so downloading isn't that boring or time consuming... I guess it really depends on whether or not you are a physical owner freak that like to have everything on their hand...

Not really... Most internet connections here are rather slow, expensive and with caps. A 2GB download is something you'd have to plan for here, thus making physical copies still preferable.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Weird... I pay 18.30€ for a 8MB DSL connection with unlimited traffic... and I live in the backend of nowhere...