• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Web Browser Woes

Teowulf

<span style=height:2px;cursor:default;"></span>
Ever since I downloaded 3.05 for Firefox- Chrome, Firefox, and Opera haven't been working. They say "cannot connect" or "404 not found." The only way I can connect to the internet is through IE, which I hate.

Anyone know what the problem might be? Would it just go away if I rebooted?

birdman

did you try uninstalling all of those (chrome, firefox, opera) and reinstalling one of them?

make sure you clear all old settings from those programs when you uninstall

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
also, have you tried any portable versions?

Seth

MD Party Room
Yea first try a reboot...If that fails unplug your router and modem and reconnect them..

If both fail if you have a linux live cd around try it and see if firefox loads...If it does then try a system restore..

Teowulf

did you try uninstalling all of those (chrome, firefox, opera) and reinstalling one of them?

make sure you clear all old settings from those programs when you uninstall
I'll try that now.

How do I import IE settings?
Yea first try a reboot...If that fails unplug your router and modem and reconnect them..

Tried both of those.

Teowulf

No luck with the re-install....

Oh, and I should probably also mention: NO programs can connect to the internet. Warhammer, Itunes, Zune, Pidgin, etc.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
have you done a network diagnostics through windows? Also if you had System Restore, use that

EvilSeph

Administrator
That's incredibly strange. Do you have a firewall?

Hellcat

Contributor
Any additional drivers or monitoring tools installed that have to with networking?
Had some sort of filter, virus scanner or whatever installed and deinstalled it and it didn't revers what it changed in the network setup?
Got a virus, maybe???

Might try de- and reinstalling your network (NIC, settings and all)....

Teowulf

Ok, well, the problem is worse now. IE does not work ever since I updated it to IE7, which made me think it was a firewall problem.

I've had something like this happen before, and it was a problem with the firewall.

Problem is, Norton is being stupid and not working. I open it up, and all of the boxes and stuff are red, saying that "there are 18 issues affecting [my] status," but when I go to fix them, it doesn't respond.

Teowulf

Ok, Norton is being even stupider now. It won't open. No matter how much double clicking of the shortcut, finding the button under programs, using the program file button, or using the run command, it will NOT open.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
No system restore? I usually disable it on some of my systems but find that it's very useful for situations exactly like this, system restore should fix this issue. If worse comes to worse uninstall Norton and install another AV software and see if that would change anything

Teowulf

No system restore? I usually disable it on some of my systems but find that it's very useful for situations exactly like this, system restore should fix this issue. If worse comes to worse uninstall Norton and install another AV software and see if that would change anything

Isn't a system restore a drastic measure? Or am I thinking of something else?

Seth

MD Party Room
Not really...It it a way for the system to go back to a few days ago with past settings...

It built into windows...and does not harm your data...

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Isn't a system restore a drastic measure? Or am I thinking of something else?

You're thinking of something else. Windows System Restore just restores your computer to an earlier point in time, say a few days ago. You'll lose any installed programs since that day and possibly a few .exes in which you used to install said programs but your data will still be there. Just find System Restore in your programs menu and check it out - hopefully you'll have it active and able to get back to a point before you updated