• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 Wii Hacking Guru Teases PS3 Linux Bootloader, Return of OtherOS On 3.21+?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
ps3__s_linux_wallpaper_by_skatox.jpg

Team Twiizers member Marcan - one of the brains behind the infamous Twilight Hack for Wii - has hinted that he is working on a custom PS3 Linux bootloader.

"I suck at names. Help me name a usb-exploit PS3 Linux bootloader? All I came up with so far is lv2ate ("levitate") and AnotherOS," tweeted Marcan.

As you may well be aware, recent developments in the PS3 scene have given homebrew developers access to LV2 address space, meaning a third-party implementation of "OtherOS" is technically fesible on all exploitable firmware releases including 3.21 and beyond, even though Sony "removed" such functionality.[...]

Continue reading: Wii Hacking Guru Teases PS3 Linux Bootloader, Return of OtherOS On 3.21?...

Hellcat

Contributor
Wait.... didn't we have this already? Some iDevice "guru" bringing back OtherOS / Linux onto the PS3?

History repeating itself, yes?
And why 3.21? We're at 3.50 already! Welcome to last month.... nah, this will fail.... badly....

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Wait.... didn't we have this already? Some iDevice "guru" bringing back OtherOS / Linux onto the PS3?

And why 3.21? We're at 3.50 already! Welcome to last month.... nah, this will fail.... badly....

Well I'd assume it can be applied to any exploitable firmware, so that means 3.21-3.41. Good for people that updated but want Linux. That's just my guess though, hence the question mark. All we know from this is that he's working on a bootloader.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
I like the name AnotherOS. I'll remain sceptical though until I see something concrete

Cloudy

Whilst I understand where you are coming from, there's a few more things to consider since last time.

1. He hasn't actually announced anything yet, he's just saying that he's thinking of a name. He also hasn't made bold claims of a "custom firmware".

2. We didn't have an exploit to run unsigned code last time. This is also technically possible - you could run an OS at GameOS level. It will actually be more powerful than OtherOS was as GameOS has more privileges - GPU support when coded for example.

3. Yes, we're on 3.50. However, he hasn't announced what firmware version it will work on. My guess is 3.41 - that's the highest firmware vulnerable to the USB exploit.

Hellcat

Contributor
Hmm.... that's quite good points you got there, Cloudy.... esp. like "1)" :)

OKOK, let me lean back and be proven wrong - actually I'd like that, being an OtherOS fan myself ;)