• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

360 xbox problems

SeanyP

right i was just watching crank 2, funny film by the way and the screen started going funny, i thought it was the dvd at first but going back to the menu it wasnt fixed.
then i got the three red lights, not a good sign i know, plugged it into another wall socket and it was fine for all of about two minutes.
help!
can dust buildup cause this?

PR0fessor Burnt

ya it can cause rrod. if that is the problem look on youtube on how to dedust it
My friend did it and it fixed for about a month so you will prob just get rrod l8r on

SeanyP

okay an update, im not getting a rrod anymore, im getting sound but no picture.
anyone had this problem before? i really dont want to be sending it to microsoft as i bought it just over a year ago which means they are going to pull my pants down over it.

and professor burnt i'd rather it stayed working for longer than a month but thanks :)

B

Bizarre

Unless you know someone who fixes the red rings then you have to send it into MS, but I'm pretty sure the 3 lights have a 3 year warrently.

SeanyP

well it's done it again it was fine for two days, so ive ordered everything i need for the x clamp fix. dreading taking apart my xbox but im not paying outrageous prices to microsoft, or waiting a month to get it back!

agentnnc

That Guy I Am
My warranty with MS expired about 2 weeks before I got RROD. The price to fix the xbox is 180$ if i remember correctly. The arcade is sold at about 200$ at futureshop. I bought it from there and got a 3 year guarentee. They actually cover RROD in it.

Robby

Los Doyers!
My warranty with MS expired about 2 weeks before I got RROD. The price to fix the xbox is 180$ if i remember correctly. The arcade is sold at about 200$ at futureshop. I bought it from there and got a 3 year guarentee. They actually cover RROD in it.
The price is 120

amrcidiot

MFM Survivor
well it's done it again it was fine for two days, so ive ordered everything i need for the x clamp fix. dreading taking apart my xbox but im not paying outrageous prices to microsoft, or waiting a month to get it back!

My friend did the towel trick a while ago and it fixed it for quite a while.
He also did the x clamp, but had better luck with the towel trick.
IIRC, the towel trick is just wrapping it in a towel and letting it overheat so some broken solders get re-soldered. Look it up before trying it.
Eventually, he had to get a new xbox, but if it's already broken, it can't get much worse.
His had the same problem that you have, the sound, but no video, and when there was video, it was crapping out.
I say try the x clamp fix first, and if that doesn't do anything, try the towel trick.

SeanyP

update, ive done the x clamp fix and... it worked!!
although i put the square heatsink on the wrong way and turns out its rectangular as i had to wedge on my fan cover over it! hopefully it wont cause any problems in the future!

twelve

I'm not dead
although i put the square heatsink on the wrong way and turns out its rectangular as i had to wedge on my fan cover over it! hopefully it wont cause any problems in the future!
Why the fuck have you done that?

The warranty is 3 years for the RROD, not 1 year. It was mentioned in this thread before you opened the console and broke that warranty.

Lets just hope you're lucky and the X-clamp replacement works long term for you, because it certainly didn't for me.

B

Bizarre

As twelve said, bad idea. You had 3 years you shoulda just sent it in. Pray it doesn't get the red rings again.

while at it flash it and buy you elite so you can play burn games.

but like nick and twele said. you should of send to Microsoft and fix it their way. better enjoy while you can.

SeanyP

Why the fuck have you done that?

The warranty is 3 years for the RROD, not 1 year. It was mentioned in this thread before you opened the console and broke that warranty.

Lets just hope you're lucky and the X-clamp replacement works long term for you, because it certainly didn't for me.

calm down.

i know i should have done but im impatient, and im sure i'll regret it once it breaks again but i'll just have to deal with it

---------- Post added at 03:16 PM EST ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM EST ----------

oh and also i wasnt even getting an rrod it was just that the screen was not coming up.
the rrod showed up once when it first happened and that was it.