• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

[XP] Ultimate Optimization Thread

Noriyuke

OK, i hope none of you expected me to be the one giving tips and tricks, I'm asking for tips and tricks. The whole Linux bombed ridiculously and no one really knew how to help nor did the two distro's i tried had the drivers to my video card for my laptop. So its back to windows XP for my low end Toshiba. Now my question is how to optimize is as best as i can for the little things I'm going to do on it.

Any tip's and tricks?

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?selModel=1073833648|PS181U&modelFilter=1805-S203&rpn=PS181U&category=&selCategory=3&moid=1073833648&os=&ct=SB&selFamily=1073768663#contentArea

Theres a link to the support page to my laptop, with hardware specifics. Only differences between the specs there and the one i have is that i chnaged out the hard drive for a 60GB and i dont have 128MB ram, i have 120 for some reason.

Chathurga

You should download a stripped down performance XP first of all. I can't give you a link but they are easy to find, make sure to download a recent one.
Backup all you drivers first though as these versions of XP will have everything remove that isn't a basic requirement so your video driver probably won't be there.

Seth

MD Party Room
Download one of the many hacked versions of xp.... I kinda like TinyXP....

Or just use nLite

mohaas05

Go to start, run, and type services.msc

There, disable anything you don't need such as infared services, IPv6, etc.

Noriyuke

well, i already use TinyXP Rev06, but its not fast enough even with that. I want a significant speed increase in system process. That was my hope with linux. I'm checking out nlite.

Seth

MD Party Room
TinyXP is at rev9....

And no

No nothing will give you a significant speed increase on a p3....

Noriyuke

Nothing...

Nothing?

At all.....?

Like i don't know, 30%?

And ill grab the revision where i can find it. I'm not one to try and stay up to date on many things, like i prefer that a movie get on the internet rather than watch it at the movies, even if i have a free pass to the movie theater, which i do, like 5.

Seth

MD Party Room
Nope I wont count on it...

Updateing to rev9 isent going to do much....

The best thing you can do is use low resource apps..

Miranda IM,K-Meleon,1by1...

Noriyuke

Ok! I guess this shall be the, "lowest resource apps" thread? What would you say is the lowest resource web browser? Im guessing Opera, but ive never really used it, except for the one for the PSP. Which is pretty sweet if i do say so myself.

Seth

MD Party Room
K-Meleon..

BUt first see how well Opera runs on your pc first before useing K-Meleon..

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
yeah. I'd say Opera

avast or avira for antivirus

Noriyuke

Yea,i downloaded Opera and its running pretty smoothly i must say,i kindadontlike the whole its downloading elements before showing the page thing, sometimes makes me worry.

And Damn,on the antivirus thing, i just downloaded AVG, but i will uninstall and experiment with the 2 just recommended.

I have an interesting question! How do i remove or bypass the restriction on adobe acrobat reader(latest) when it comes to the minimum requirements? Or better yet, anyone know of any freeware, open source, low resource pdf readers out there? I could sure use one.

Edit: Ah! I feel quite silly,i found this through wikipedia, if anyones interested, im using one called sumatra.

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
I was going to say sumatra or foxit reader

Bossmanuk

Contributor
Foxit Reader is amazing, and you don't even have to install it. You have have it simply run live.

Also here is something I posted on QJ which I have just copied over to MfM in regards to speeding up XP. Although If you have TinyXP all of these options may have been performed anyway.

Seth

MD Party Room
+1 for Foxit..

I use it alot when dealing with pdf...

Tommi

TinyXP... now that's a name from the past...

The home of TinyXP is HERE

As for the 8MB of missing RAM, it could be the onboard graphics is still being used...