• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Help Me Choose A Laptop

futuregator15

Lovin OS X
So I'm supposed to be getting a laptop sometime this summer. I def want a 15 inch screen and i have really been looking a two different computers. The Dell XPS 1530 and the 15 inch Macbook Pro are the laptops that I am looking at. So here's the deal, I know that I can get a WAY better laptop from dell for a decent price (Customized M1530 came out to about 1500), but I really have been eyeing the macbook pro for it's nice design and the support for dual booting (Windows Vista). Also would it be worth going through the trouble of installing OSX on a PC. Oh, and money is a little bit of an issue here. I would like to keep it under 1500 (Why I'm leaning towards the dell), but it'll come down to how much buying a mac with benefit me, and if my parents can afford to get it

Thanks for the comments

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
would you get any substantial benefit out of having osx?

the mac looks to be $960 more expensive than the dell(upgrading the mac to 4gb ram and 320gb hdd for equality) and then there is the copy of vista you would install.

futuregator15

Lovin OS X
would you get any substantial benefit out of having osx?

I really just wanted to have osx because i never used it before and to see why people say it is "so" much better. So yea i def want to have OSX.

Yea I was looking at that big price difference. I guess that $500 tax that ballmer was talking about this week was being generous huh? lol

But I take it you would tell me to go for the M1530?

ChurchedAtheist

I really just wanted to have osx because i never used it before and to see why people say it is "so" much better. So yea i def want to have OSX.

Yea I was looking at that big price difference. I guess that $500 tax that ballmer was talking about this week was being generous huh? lol

But I take it you would tell me to go for the M1530?

yeah. def the M1530. if your parents are willing to spend the 2000 on a macbook, just beef up the specs on the m1530. get a 2.6ghz core 2 for the money.

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
I'm a long time Windows user, and I recently installed a MAC OS on one of my computers and I can't find what makes it so much better.

For some people Macs are great, and I respect their decisions, but there's a reason why there are more windows users in the computer world.

I'd recommend buying a cheap small hard drive and installing hackintosh on it so you get a feel for it before you end up spending more money than you should have.

Just letting you know what your getting into.

Tommi

I'm a long time Windows user, and I recently installed a MAC OS on one of my computers and I can't find what makes it so much better.

For some people Macs are great, and I respect their decisions, but there's a reason why there are more windows users in the computer world.

I'd recommend buying a cheap small hard drive and installing hackintosh on it so you get a feel for it before you end up spending more money than you should have.

Just letting you know what your getting into.

Yup, because Microsoft sold their OS to anyone who would take it, and Apple would only allow Mac OS on their hardware....

Sooooo..... Windows naturally gained a higher market share.

As a former salesman of both Windows based machines and OSX based machines, I found a lot of OSX users wouldn't listen to me when I tried to sell a Windows based machine, simply because they have it in their heads that Mac's have better hardware and software.

And yet, when I would prove that a

ChurchedAtheist

Personally, I'd go for the Dell, and max its spec out. You will get a better machine for the same price.
werd

an extra .2ghz, 2gb more ram, 70gb more hd space, all for $370 less(even bigger savings if you don't include the office home and student) then just the base config of the mac.

Cryox

Bro.
personally, i think that OSX has it's benefits, mainly if you are making movies, music, or a graphic designer. Then it seems to be better. But in my opinion, windows is much better. It seems like it is the 'everything' OS, meaning that you can do pretty much everything on it, even if it lacks a couple features. (it seems)

But I'd go for the Dell, just because it would be nicer to have better specs for the same, or less, money.

Seth

MD Party Room
First before you buy new you notebook, put osx86 on your current pc. Play around with it on for about a month, if you love it then buy the macbook. If you just think it ok and your just found of it then go buy the dell. If anything osx can be ran on a netbook so if you really want osx for cheap then buy a netbook it works pretty nice. Also one last thing I whouldent buy a macbook now. There a mac event in june and 10.6 is very near gold.

Tommi

First before you buy new you notebook, put osx86 on your current pc. Play around with it on for about a month, if you love it then buy the macbook. If you just think it ok and your just found of it then go buy the dell. If anything osx can be ran on a netbook so if you really want osx for cheap then buy a netbook it works pretty nice. Also one last thing I whouldent buy a macbook now. There a mac event in june and 10.6 is very near gold.

Problem with OSx86, is it's never as good as it is on a mac, simply due to it being written for the hardware config of the said mac.

I know the hardware is the same etc, but I've always had problems getting it working perfectly, the same way it is on my mac.

Even so, I still wouldn't pay the extra just for OSX, the media capabilities can be done on Windows if need be.

futuregator15

Lovin OS X
Personally, I'd go for the Dell, and max its spec out. You will get a better machine for the same price.

That's what I'm going to do. But I am torn between making a decision on wether to get a 2.6 ghz CPU and get a regualar CD/DVD Burner. OR to get a 2.5 ghz CPU and get the blue ray. If I decide to get both then it would cost about $1,800 and I really want to hang around $1,500

Problem with OSx86, is it's never as good as it is on a mac, simply due to it being written for the hardware config of the said mac.

I know the hardware is the same etc, but I've always had problems getting it working perfectly, the same way it is on my mac.

So you've install OSX on a PC? What kind of problems have you run into?

My Components (So far)
SYSTEM COLOR: Tuxedo Black
*PROCESSOR: Intel

Tommi

hmm, the blu-ray issue.... do you intend to watch movies on it? If its a burner as well as the player it might be nice.

Well, the main problem I had was sound, and the fact it would never detect my network card correctly. Also I could never get my graphics card to work, but that's to be expected.

All I'm saying is that OSx86 does not give the best impression of the operating system as it would be on the Mac itself.

I'm also a bit iffy on the 64-bit version of vista... that is just me though.

Btw, Dell's support is crap, I suggest you get the laptop under your household insurance, but call them up, as most do not cover mobile machines without you telling them so.

futuregator15

Lovin OS X
hmm, the blu-ray issue.... do you intend to watch movies on it? If its a burner as well as the player it might be nice.

No I don't plan on using it that much as of now. But I was just thinking about the future cause I want to have this for at least 4 years.

Well, the main problem I had was sound, and the fact it would never detect my network card correctly. Also I could never get my graphics card to work, but that's to be expected.

All I'm saying is that OSx86 does not give the best impression of the operating system as it would be on the Mac itself.

hmmm I've been reading some tutorials on insanelymac and I must say that the procedure looks easy at first glance. But I know there will probably be issues. But I do have a question about this guide. When it refers to "Vanilla," isn't that the same as finding a "Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.6 Full Retail."
Also on the subject of dual booting vista and OSX. I was following this guide and it said to create a "share drive" to put all my crap in. What should I format this to? The guide said fat32 but OSX couldn't write to the drive.

I'm also a bit iffy on the 64-bit version of vista... that is just me though.

There wasn't any option for a 32-bit version since the minimum amount of RAM you could get was 4gb

Btw, Dell's support is crap, I suggest you get the laptop under your household insurance, but call them up, as most do not cover mobile machines without you telling them so.

I couldn't get rid of the issuance part. It came with it

ChurchedAtheist

That's what I'm going to do. But I am torn between making a decision on wether to get a 2.6 ghz CPU and get a regualar CD/DVD Burner. OR to get a 2.5 ghz CPU and get the blue ray. If I decide to get both then it would cost about $1,800 and I really want to hang around $1,500

I'd go with the extra cpu power. i see no real need for bluray drives yet(for most people).

but, if your parents are willing to spend the 2g on a macbook, get both the cpu and bluray on the dell.

Moose

Meta Moose
There is barely a difference between a 2.5 and 2.6GHz processor. If I were you, I'd get a bluray burner/player alongside the 2.5GHz.

Tommi

Vanilla OSX is the standard retail disc yes.

As for the insurance, it's the standard warranty, what I meant was to get it put under your own insurance.

The difference between the two CPU's will not be noticeable really, I just wouldn't worry about the Blu-ray drive on a laptop.

There is way for OSX to read AND write NTFS using THIS or ntfs-3g which solves the shared issue.

ChurchedAtheist

Are the cpus the same? In terms of cache, everything besides core clock?

yup 800mhz and 6MB cache

it is true that the .1ghz is negligible, but im thinking it would provide more benefit then a bluray player he is likely to use once or twice. then again, who knows, maybe he'll use it every day.

ilyace

The bluray player is by far the best choice then...think about it: Nothing (the 1ghz difference) or something(the bluray player)...IMO the choice is very, very easy.

twelve

I'm not dead
Seeing as you have a PS3 (judging by the PSN ID on your profile page) I'd say getting the bluray drive is pointless, even taking into account that it is a burner. You can always replace the drive in years to come when prices drop if you feel you need it at a later date.