• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PSP Firmware 5.50 Inbound, Hits Tomorrow

wololo

Scratch that, unreliable sources. I CAN CONFIRM THAT 5.50 HAS TIFF SUPPORT STILL. I just updated. Pandora's Battery is a great thing ;)
I'm still surprised they don't remove Tiff support. It's a cool format, but I think people rather have jpegs and pngs in their photo folders...
Or maybe they have some kind of "contractual obligation" since tiff support is written somewhere on the box/manual when you buy a psp ?

Archaemic

Wow, it looks like they basically removed support for any TIFF with extra samples (e.g. transparency, or other image data that isn't directly displayed) instead of fixing it so it was properly supported. Shame. Now I have no idea where to attack ;)

wololo

Wow, it looks like they basically removed support for any TIFF with extra samples (e.g. transparency, or other image data that isn't directly displayed) instead of fixing it so it was properly supported. Shame. Now I have no idea where to attack ;)
Ah, crap, that was my main field of investigation too recently :angry:
I hope the "subdirectories allowed" thing for mp3 can give us some "long path buffer overflow" opportunity maybe ;)

Archaemic

Yeah, I doubt it. Sony would have to be really bad at this to implement paths entirely wrong. For all we know, it's not recursive, and I highly doubt that there isn't a cap at around 16, if not lower than that.

wololo

Yeah, I doubt it. Sony would have to be really bad at this to implement paths entirely wrong. For all we know, it's not recursive, and I highly doubt that there isn't a cap at around 16, if not lower than that.
Yeah. There was recently a trend with buffer overflows using long path names in .m3u files on most mp3 players on windows. But the PSP didn't have that flaw, would have been too easy, right? ;)

I hope we'll have PSPLink working on the 3000 though, there are PSP3000/2000 specific crashes I want to investigate too

Hey guys, mortalinstincts at eXophase Forums said something you all shoud know about the TIFF situation on Version 5.50:

mortalinstincts said:
I was on the Dark Alex IRC yesterday and they said that they have disabled TIFFs with alpha layers... (no idea what that is.. lol)

but they havent entirely removed TIFF support...

The Teej

Also know as The Tjalian
To be honest, I wasn't aware TIFF even had alpha support :p

For those not in the know - Alpha Layers are just transparency.

wololo

To be honest, I wasn't aware TIFF even had alpha support :p

For those not in the know - Alpha Layers are just transparency.

Tiff is a very powerful format. A Tiff file can contain several pictures. It can even embed jpegs, etc...
It is very flexible, therefore an easy target for hacking.

It is a bit unfortunate that we keep hacking the PSP through tiff images, because I believe it gives a bad image to open source libraries, but oh well :(

wololo said:
Tiff is a very powerful format. A Tiff file can contain several pictures. It can even embed jpegs, etc...
It is very flexible, therefore an easy target for hacking.

It is a bit unfortunate that we keep hacking the PSP through tiff images, because I believe it gives a bad image to open source libraries, but oh well :(

In fact, computer viruses can be embedded into a TIFF too.

The virus won't work on the PSP though. :laugh:

Archaemic

It doesn't affect firmwares newer than 2.80 anyway. I don't think it affects newer than 2.71, actually. So it kind of doesn't matter at this point at all.