• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PSP Firmware 5.50 Inbound, Hits Tomorrow

eXo

M for Messenger
Sony just announced that firmware 5.50 for PSP is due out tomorrow — April 21. The update will allow users to browse the built-in PSP store without a registered PSN account. Of course, you’ll still need to register an account to purchase anything. PSN integration will also be enhanced with the arrival of version 5.50, as [...]

More...

The Teej

Also know as The Tjalian
"Additionally, another key, and perhaps overdue improvement is the ability to create subfolders for media such as photos, music, and videos."

FINALLY!

Why has this taken so long to be included? T__T

I hope this hits the Playstation 3 soon, too. Also, go go 5.50 M33!

Tampo

nice try Fony. but too slow to keep up with homebrew

january39

eXo Staff
Catergories is a massive leap, o yeah been a plugin for quite a while now, well at least there following the lead ;) - Joking aside, the PSN stuff sounds pretty cool. XMB display and stuff. Hopefully it will live up to it's promise.

zarz

i think people are forgetting tiff eploit patch...
aint it a surprise anouncement?
Did they beat us in this one?
Answers tomorrow
LOL

Deniux

Besides that the new firmware have some pretty good new features, hope that it won't patch the tiff exploit. If not then I am so gonna try it :D

Archaemic

Hitting tomorrow. Coincidence? Definitely not. Let's see how badly they botched the TIFF fix.

Good news: they didn't patch the k-mode exploit, most likely. If I were Davee, I'd see if I could get another usermode exploit in a reasonable amount of time before releasing the k-mode exploit.

E] For those of you who want to be obsessive, you can check if the update is out or not by looking here:
http://fu01.psp.update.playstation.org/update/us/psp-updatelist.txt

If it says 2009_0120 in that string, it's not out. If it says 2009_0420 or 2009_0421, it's out.

Adiuvo

It's nice to see that they introduced some new features this time instead of just a security fix.

wololo

Obviously this update was ready before the whole tiff exploit thing. But I guess they found the time to add a fix :p
However, as Archaemic said, it is unlikely that Davee's kernel exploit has been patched, as very few people know about it yet.
So finding a User-mode exploit on this new firmware will actually be useful :D

WalangAlam

could someone(those with downgradable psp) check if MaTiAz Tiff eggsploit is still working on this FW?

i will love these two new features:

# The v5.50 upgrade means you no longer need a PlayStation

Archaemic

Scratch that, unreliable sources. I CAN CONFIRM THAT 5.50 HAS TIFF SUPPORT STILL. I just updated. Pandora's Battery is a great thing ;)

E] Hehe, my (unfortunately not exploitable, AFAICT) TIFF crasher still works on 5.50 too :D 'tis a beautiful thing to see a brand new firmware die at my hands.