• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Truency

ilyace

Sullivan there was something about this at my middle school, I don't remember how many days you needed to miss, but there was definitely court involved. I'm not too sure about high school though.

Sullivan

@Serideth: Don't you get this? My mom wrote me notes to excuse my sick days. I can't write my own damn notes, would you think that would look fishy to the school?

I am going to get copies of the notes I took to school, so I can prove there ass's wrong.

Some people at my school mentioned I should ask for a trial by jury. Then when that case comes around, I explain everything, how I am a a-b student, possibly been tardy like 5 times my whole high school year, bring report cards. Ect. Think this would do any help? Trial by jury may be easier to win due to the jury feeling the same way as me. That I am being taken to court for days I was far to sick to come to school. I almost when to the hospital during those times, but didn't I was running a 102F temp for a few hours. But then it went down to 99F.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Notes from your mom actually work? I know when i was in high school notes from my mother would not be sufficient enough to warrant an excused absence :/

Slasher

Suck It
Going to trial for missing 5 days of school due to being sick. I'm still lolling. What a great use of resources down there.

Here where I am anyways, you can miss as many goddamn days as you'd like. If you miss a day, you get an automatic phonecall at a random time in the evening (when your parents would probably be home) saying which classes were missed, then they have another thing where it autosends an email to your parents also explaining which classes were missed. It's upto the parents to be responsible and handle what their child is doing. If you miss a test or something important, then a doctor note would be needed in order to do it, but otherwise you just get a zero on the test. Going to a real court just over missing a few days of school is absolutely ridiculous.

I'm sure there comes a point where after missing X amount of days, then detentions start getting handed out and perhaps suspensions, then finally expulsions, but I'm sure you'd have to miss a shit load of school in order for that to happen.

In my senior year once I turned 18 and was a legal adult, I went to the office and changed all of my info to make the phonecalls go to my cellphone, and the notification email go to my email. After that moment, I must've missed at least a months worth of class. Skipping a class or two, or hell, even an entire day wasn't unusual. I still managed to pull off great marks in those classes though since they were incredibly easy. The school never personally contacted me or anything, probably because my marks were still great and they just didn't care.

mhenstri

So... trial by judge you think?
Is it a jury of your peers - so like other school kids, or is it just random people like normal jury duty.

If its not other school kids, I'd go just for the judge and take a copy of the notes and if possible, get your mum to go with you as a character witness and also to prove She wrote the notes in case they think it was you writing them originally.

Greyone

Funny Little Green Ghouls
One reason schools are so bitchy about attendance is because if you don't show up, they don't get paid.

Slasher

Suck It
Well I don't know about you guys, but I didn't have to pay a dime for public education. Free education for all. That's what taxes are for.

Whatever system is used in the US must be different than here.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Well I don't know about you guys, but I didn't have to pay a dime for public education. Free education for all. That's what taxes are for.

Whatever system is used in the US must be different than here.

Taxes are what pay for our public education in the US as well, usually you must only pay for private schools

Riorio99

This is ridiculous. 5 days? During my first year at secondary school (High School to Americans), I only had about 75% attendance, and nothing ever got said.
Must be one damn harsh school.

Colm

It's like that now with the new cyber bullying laws. We had a conference at our school which was to inform us that if we misbehave online we can get expelled. It's ridiculous.

Wait, wait, what?
That seriously does NOT add up. I can understand the reason for cyber bullying laws, but adding the school to the matter, which is unrelated to the school, is seriously confusing. I mean, if you can go to court for missing five days school...
Where are these laws in place? Just out of curiosity.

Hanzo_f19

[insert custom user title here]
It's like that now with the new cyber bullying laws. We had a conference at our school which was to inform us that if we misbehave online we can get expelled. It's ridiculous.

wow, seriously, I don't know how you guys hold your anger. These kind of rules/laws sound like they were made to defy us. Seriously, I would like to teach THEM alesson. (and I'm an extremely calm person)
They need to be punished. This is outrageous, this is madness..,,THIS......IS....,SPAAAAAAARTA!!!! **insert explosion effect**

Adiuvo

Wait, wait, what?
That seriously does NOT add up. I can understand the reason for cyber bullying laws, but adding the school to the matter, which is unrelated to the school, is seriously confusing. I mean, if you can go to court for missing five days school...
Where are these laws in place? Just out of curiosity.

I live in California. The main case to justify why this law is there is the one where the girl had a supposed 'boyfriend' on Myspace, when it was really the mom of another student. That mom then told the girl that everyone hates her, and she ended up killing herself.

The stupid decision of one kid somehow went and effected every kid in California.

Sullivan

Well its not just me, students are being taken left and right.

Cryox

Bro.
Taxes are what pay for our public education in the US as well, usually you must only pay for private schools

but in public and such, there are always those fees that they throw at you: book rentals, gym uniforms, etc

Sullivan

but in public and such, there are always those fees that they throw at you: book rentals, gym uniforms, etc

Book rentals? lmao No. Public schools are funded by taxes, therefore, all school related material is paid for. Gym uniforms, how ever, we always got to buy some of those sport shorts and just wear a t-shirt, but in my gym, the coach is tight, so we don't have to dress out, we just chill on the bleachers. easy 100.

Slasher

Suck It
Book rentals? lmao No. Public schools are funded by taxes, therefore, all school related material is paid for. Gym uniforms, how ever, we always got to buy some of those sport shorts and just wear a t-shirt, but in my gym, the coach is tight, so we don't have to dress out, we just chill on the bleachers. easy 100.

Hold up.

So you're saying that public schools are funded by taxes, yet you have to pay the school when you miss a few days of class? I really don't understand the logic here. The teacher gets paid regardless of whether a handful of students show up or even if they don't, right? Because of taxes, they get paid. So why is the argument then that teachers somehow don't get paid if a few students miss a few classes.

So why are they taking you to court then? (Which by the way, I still think is fucking hilarious given the circumstances lol). They must be taking nearly everybody in the whole goddamn school to court if the maximum limit is at 5 absences.