• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Codename: X.R

pj1115

Hey, I couldn't post in the developers section, so I posted here. Feel free to move.

I've nearly finished the first build of an app I've been working on - codename X.R. It's basically a prettier, more functional and more customizable recovery menu. I was just posting to ask if it would be of any interest to anyone, and whether or not you think it would be well received. Suggestions and friendly criticism welcomed.

Current features:

- Toggle USB mass storage
- Load default OE recovery
- Load EBOOT from /PSP/GAME/RECOVERY/
- Load UMD (Menu: EBOOT.BIN, BOOT.BIN)
- Firmware Maintenance (Menu: Dump flash0, Dump flash1, Check free space, Free up space, Restore default settings [registry or OE config])
- Uninstall the recovery
- Exit
The application is provided with an (un)installer and does not remove the default recovery, but provides the option to load it from the menu.

Obviously it's still a work in progress, and there are a few features I would love to add before BETA release (ie, skinning, configuration [including languages], flash USB, etc).

So:
  1. How do you think it will be received?
  2. What do you think of the idea yourself?
  3. What could be added/removed/improved upon?

Thanks.

TimTiger

Way to addicted to games.
  1. How do you think it will be received?
  2. What do you think of the idea yourself?
  3. What could be added/removed/improved upon?

Thanks.
  1. I dont know how big it will take, but I'm willing to give it a try.
  2. Sounds like a good idea to me.
  3. I dont know about anything that could be added since I dont play around wiht the recovery menu myself.

pj1115

Thanks, TimTiger.
When I finish the first build I'll probably release it as limited BETA. I'll be sure to include you should there be one. Also, about your no.3, X.R will probably end up as more than a recovery, sporting lots of features you won't find anywhere else that may be useful in everyday use.

Also, in case you have any worries with space in Flash0, I may add 2 or 3 installation options (flash0, flash0+flash1, flash0+memory stick). Might be a little tricky to do...

Also, do you think it would be better to use image-based skins (more customizable, harder to implement, more space) or simply be able to define colours (less customizable, easier to implement, less space)?

Anyone else?

Roe

image based skins would be much better. And I think this is a great idea. You could add options like free up space on flash) and stuff like that

pj1115

Small updates:

• Finished the main UMD loading code - should work fine with most UMDs (it's only really older ones that work - since GTA:LCS, only Devhook is capable of loading most of them, so it won't be great). :wink:
  • Added an easter egg :laugh:
  • Added compatibility for the new M33 firmware - that was quick, no?
  • Sorted out flash configuration - key files are now stored in 'psp/system/recovery'.
  • Steering clear of themes for now, the first BETA will be standard colour, the second will probably be custom colour, and hopefully the stable release will include image-based themes, though it might be a bit hefty as far as loading from the memory stick goes.

If all goes well, the first BETA should be out in a week or so - I'm on summer holiday/vacation now so I can double the input. :w00t:

dennis96411

Please release it fast,I'm looking forward to it,the feature sounds very good.
One thing I want is:Change the LocationFree Player to a WiFi TV,using wireless connection and online streaming.I always wanted that.
Do send me e-mail to:dennis96411@163.com
Thanks!!:laugh: